Chapter:: Fifteen

Dear Adonis,

If you could believe it, it took me until now to remember I had friends and a whole world outside of you, my father, and trips to the hospital. It’s awful, I know. And I’m surprised that my friend Elody picked up when I called.

At first, she pretended that she forgot who I was. I told her that I understand that I’ve been an awful friend and that I had someone for her to meet. “I need your approval,” I told her, although I wouldn’t have given you up if she thought you were the worst man on earth. She easily agreed, saying that she didn’t know if she should back away or dial. Things happen, right? And she was willing to meet him if he meant so much to me.

So that’s how you got to meet Elody Marshall, my best friend since freshman year. We met while we were hiding out in the stalls during lunch. We always laughed at the irony, finding a friend while we were trying to avoid the fact that there wasn’t anyone to lean on.

“Hey Ariel!” Elody all but yells when I open the door on a sunny Saturday. You were inside sitting on my couch trying to guess the motive on CSI. She steps over the welcome mat and gives me a bone crushing hug.

“Elody, I’ve missed you.” I tell her as I smile guiltily, knowing what she’s going to say immediately.

“Well you could have picked up the phone you know. But I guess I could have also. We’re all good. Now, where’s Adonis?” her brown hair is pushed back by her sunglasses and she’s wearing a band shirt and jeans, her usual attire. All of sudden my eyes were watering, because how could I shut out my best friend when everything was going to shit?

“On the couch,” I smile at her but don’t feel it. I grab my face and feel that my face is just there. It’s a weird experience, and I try to shake it off and go follow Elody into the living room.

“Elody, this is Adonis. Adonis, this is Elody.” I inform you guys while I rub my cheeks. You guys are busy introducing yourself that you don’t notice me.

“So, you’re a CSI fan?” Elody questions as she gets comfy on the armchair that my dad usually occupies.

“It’s a guilty pleasure that Ariel and I have in common.” You tell her while a smile on your face. You rub my arm like you know what’s going on with me while keeping on a conversation.

“Well great! I’m a fan. Why don’t you click play? I’m sure I’ll be able to catch up on the episode.” Elody smiles at you and winks at me. You agree and grab the remote, pressing play. I decide that things couldn’t have been more perfect in that moment.

~

“Bye Elody, thanks for coming over. I’ll call you in a couple of days.” I tell her as I’m walking her outside so she can give me the yay or nay on you after four straight hours of CSI and some pizza eating.

“It was so much fun,” Elody tells me while leaning in to give me another hug, “I like Adonis. You guys are cute together.”

I know I told you that her answer wouldn’t make or break our relationship, but at that moment I could’ve cried. It sounds stupid now, as I’m writing it down, but I felt like I finally bridged some kind of connection before I was diagnosed and after. It grounded me down, and I was surprised to find I was more sure in myself and in us then I had ever been.

It brought a smile to my face, and it made you ask me what I was so happy about when I came back to sit next to you; closer than before. “Adonis, I think I love you.” I couldn’t bring myself to think twice about it, with the feeling pulsing throughout me. How could I not share it with you?

My toes curled with happiness and I could’ve exploded at your response to that. “Well I think I might love you too, Ariel.”

But just because it was me, I couldn’t leave well enough alone and had to add a twist of comedy to the moment. “And you aren’t just saying that so I’ll sleep with you?”

“Of course not,” you laugh that nice, calm, and soothing laugh of yours as you start up one more episode of CSI.

Love, Ariel