Chapter 33: Hospital Incident

Author's Note: Disclaimer, this chapter might be riddled with inaccuracies with law or medicine, but like, let's say it works in this story. 

ALSO, life's been pretty crazy for me so sorry for the late, late, late update! Forgive me!

Realising that she hadn't showered in quite a few days, Emiko decided to take a quick one before dashing off to the hospital.  

Since she was too embarrassed to face her mother after that their tiny spat, she sent her text to let her know where she was. 

By the time was in the hospital, she was out of breath.  Noa told her to head to the third floor so she made her way up.  She was going to the nurse's desk for directions when she heard 

"You know the Adachi couple in 308? Yeah.  They just had a premature birth.  Too bad for them, the baby probably won't make it." 

"Really?" Replied an uninterested voice.

"The baby is so small and light that I'm pretty sure that the NICU won't save its life.  The woman is currently being given special medical attention because that birth took a lot out of her." A purple eyed nurse said with a laugh. "The baby was struggling to breathe when it came out. The head is quite big in proportion to the rest of its body."

Emiko clenched her fist.  Hina and Noa have been trying to have kids for a long time and then there was this wench who was laughing at it like it was no big deal.

She slammed her fist on the desk. "Is 308 room of Mrs and Mr Adachi?" She growled practically at the nurse.  

The nicer, quiet nurse nodded her head and was about to point directions when the catty nurse said "What's the with tone?" 

"I don't know." Emiko said sarcastically "Maybe it's because my friends were expecting a baby and unfortunately had a premature birth when this disrespectful hoe decides to laugh at it like it's no big deal. You tell me." 

"What did you call me?" The woman asked venomously. 

"Do I have to repeat myself? Or are you in over your ego that you can't hear anything else but your own horrible voice?" 

"Wow! Way to walk in here like you own everything, princess." She spat sarcastically. "The medical profession isn't as smooth sailing as you think it is." 

By this time, a crowd was starting to form around Emiko and the mean woman.

"I happen to respect people who work in the medical field.  I know it isn't easy and most of the work done is noble, but that doesn't give you a right to write off a premature baby as dead and laugh at it when clearly, you don't know the struggles of this couple trying to have a baby for years.  The woman is fifty-two so have some respect." 

She scoffed. "Maybe they shouldn't have tried at all." 

Dear Reader, please note that Emiko is under a lot of stress and isn't herself.  So please forgive her lapse in judgment. 

Emiko was quietly seething.  Hina and Noa were her dear friends and they've been trying to have a baby since as early as their marriage twenty-two years ago.  Who gave this bitch the right to laugh at their hardships?  This baby will survive.  

The other nurses who had overheard the conversation of Emiko and one of their own were rather embarrassed and annoyed at the way she spoke lightly about anything, but they always kept quiet because in the defence of their co-worker, she was one of the most talented in nursing.  So they respected her and never spoke back when she insulted anything.  

In her anger, Emiko tiptoed over the counter, grabbed the collar of the nurse's blouse and punched her on her right cheek. 

For a moment, everyone was dumbfounded at what had just occurred.