Chapter 19: Quarrelling

"How are the tests?" 

"Not as successful.  The clone isn't responding well to our genetic sampling." 

"Damn.  Been a lot more trouble to figure this out since Tengoku escaped."  

"Is there word on her whereabouts, sir?" 

"None.  The tracking devision was left cold on her trail.   Our assumption is that she left Japan.   Staying in the country might have been too risky for her.   Intelligence tells us that there were flights booked under the Tengoku name to the Cologne, Portland, London, Tijuana, Cebu, Vancouver, Agra, Lund and Bali.  A lot of different countries. No doubt they were trying to throw us off their trail.  They are scouting the countries as we speak.  It's also possible that she left by boat." 

"It's been a year and she still hasn't been found.  No reported sightings in either countries.  What if she never left Japan, sir and all of the those tickets purchased were all red herrings?" 

"That's a possibility we considered, we wanted to search this country last, once we've made sure that there are no other possible leads.  Missing person cases are so difficult especially when the investigation is top secret." 

"I see."

"When the search team from Bali, Cebu and Agra return, I'd like you to head the search team here in Japan.  Are you up for it?" 

"M-me?" 

"Yes, you.  You're one of our most useful assets.  You even managed to keep Tengoku calm when we did our testing."

"I don't think I have what it takes to search for her..."

"Yes, you do.  I'll give you whatever means you think is necessary to capture her.  Just let me know." 

"Yes, sir."

---

"So you're telling me, that you cheat in exams just so you can get an average score?"  

'Yes.' 

"And let me guess, this is just so you don't stand out?"

'Correct.' 

"Doesn't that... I don't know, bother you?" 

'What do you mean?' 

"That, on account of your powers, you have to hold yourself back?"  Emiko asked. "That you can't be as outstanding as you can be.  You can't stretch your limits because you're avoiding drawing attention to yourself?"

'I'm cursed with my powers.  I've always known that I can beat the average human on whatever they can do.  I seldom feel surprised as I know all the answers nor do I often feel what it's like to have an accomplishment.  If I get top marks on a quiz, I know that I can do so easily because I am different than your average human.' 

"I see.  But you didn't tell me if it bothers you." 

'Why does it matter if it bothers me?' Saiki asked a bit irked.  'Doesn't it bother you that you're drawing too much attention to yourself despite the fact that you have powers?' 

"No, it doesn't."  Emiko said frowning at Kusuo's tone. "It's not like I'm using my powers to take advantage of people or to feel superior.  Heck, I don't know how my powers can even help anyone, but the fact that I am different and knowing that I can handle myself gives me an extra boost in confidence to affect change in a good way.  Our bodies are perhaps different than regular humans, but I dislike holding myself back when there is a lot more potential to what I can become.  Why would that matter if I know that I'm affecting people around me in a positive way?"