Chapter 15: A Not So Peaceful New Year

"I hope I can have another happy new year with my beloved wife."  Kuniharu prayed looking at his wife. 

"What? Why are you making that wish to me?"  Kurumi said shyly.

"What are you talking about?"  Kuniharu said cheekily. Then in a very suave manner he adds "It's because you're my goddess!"

Kusuo rolls his eyes 'This is not how I wanted to start my New Year's.'

Kusuo and his father go to the temple front to ring the bell, give an offering and make a wish.  

He wasn't surprised when his father wished for 200 Million in the lottery. 

Kusuo did the little ritual and wished for a peaceful New Years although he was very doubtful that there was a god who will answer his prayers.

"Saiki!"  Kaido said excitedly. 

'Indeed there is no God.'

There Kaido was blabbing about how there is no God when 

"Hello! I'm Kusuo's dad" 

"And I'm his mom! You're so cute! Thank you so much for being friends with Ku."

Kaido panics and stutters as he introduces himself to Kusuo's parents

"I actually wished for Kusuo to have many friends!" Kurumi said excitedly "And it's already come true!"

Kaido goes to the shrine to pray while Saiki's parents continue to gush about him.  The said boy prays in the shrine for more friends and Saiki sees that his prayer comes true as Hairo shows up.  Kusuo's parents get more and more excited that their son actually seems to have friends (besides Emiko).  Hairo prays for a worthy rival and who arrives but Nendou.  Saiki gets annoyed that every prayer seems to gets answered except for his.   He feels a familiar presence nearby and searches for it.  He then sees a head of light pink hair go to the shrine, do the ritual and then pray. 

'I pray that you always keep the people I care about safe.  The new friends I made here and the ones that were left behind in Hokkaido.  Actually, also protect them even if I don't care about them or know them.  If I can help any of those in trouble, please give me the strength to do so.  I also pray that you are real and that you can help those who really need it.'

Saiki narrowed his eyes at her rather odd but thoughtful prayer. 

"Hey! Isn't that Hiro?" Hairo pointed out.  

"Hey it is!" Said Kaido.  

"Emiko!" Yelled Nendou. 

The said girl turned to whoever called her voice.  She spotted her friends and waved she went to her family and together they approached Saiki's. 

"Happy New Year, everyone!  Beautiful day, isn't it?" 

'No.' Saiki thought.

"Here are my parents! Mom, Dad, this is Hairo, Kaido and Nendou!"

"Hello, everyone, nice to meet you all!  Thank you for being such good friends to Emiko.  She loves going to school because of you guys."  Eito said as his eyes crinkled.  He saw Kuniharu and chuckled. "Well here's a good looking man." 

Kuniharu laughs "Not so bad yourself." 

In a flash, Kurumi and Ena were talking as if they were already in a middle of a conversation.  

"It seems like your parents are close."  Said Kaido. 

"Oh yea, they are."  Emiko said.

Suddenly, they hear the sound of the temple bell carelessly being rung and see that the culprit is Nendou.  Kuniharu approaches Nendou and teaches him how to do it.  As he does, he makes another prayer.