Chapter 30

MEANWHILE VIOLET WAS AT THE COUNTRY CLUB

The pogues pulled up to a pawn shop on the cut, hoping to score some money from the bar of gold so they could buy the materials to get the rest of the gold outta the well.

"Hell of a job melting it down Dr. Frankenstein." JJ says to Kiara as the Pogues got out of the Twinkie.

"Like you could've done better." Kie says.

"I could have done much better. I took a welding class." JJ jokes.

"When?" Kie asks, getting annoyed.

"Whoa, whoa! Chill out, okay?" John B says.

"It's easy for you to say. You're not the one that has to pawn this piece of shit off." JJ says, holding up the gold block that was now melted into what looked like a gold chicken nugget.

"How did I get this job anyway?" JJ asks.

"Cause you're the best liar." Pope says.

"Why didn't you make Violet do it? She has the rich girl look." JJ says.

"Well, Violet isn't here." Kie says, as they all entered the pawn shop.

"But Sarah is." JJ says.

"I can't lie." Sarah says.

"Lied to Top pretty well." JJ comments.

"Good afternoon ma'am." JJ says, walking in with the rest of the pogues.

"I see you buy gold." He adds on.

"Well, that's what the sign say, don't it?" The worker asks.

"Well I sure hope you buy a lot cause I'm about to blow your mind." JJ says.

"I ain't got much mind left to blow so have at it." The worker says.

"How about them gold apples?" JJ asks, pulling out the golden nugget. The worker laughs, not believing that it's real.

"That ain't real." The worker says, laughing at it. Kids used to spray paint rocks with gold paint and try to pawn it off as real gold all the time.

"That ain't real?" JJ asks, pointing to the gold.

"It can't be." The lady laughs.

"Feel how heavy it is." JJ says, pointing to the gold.

"Mhm. Yeah let's get some light on that." JJ says as the worker grabbed a light.

"Spray painted tungsten." The worker says, not believing him.

"Spray painted tungsten? Really? Okay." JJ says, trying to pawn it  but the lady was asking too many questions.

"Why don't you see uhh how soft it is?" JJ asks.

"You mind?" The worker asks.

"No, go for it." JJ says, confidently as the worker hit it with a hammer.

"Wow would you look at that?" JJ asks, seeing that the gold didn't budge.

"Hold your horses, we ain't get to the acid test yet." The worker says.

"Ooh! The acid test!" JJ says, excited.

"Well, it ain't plated and it ain't painted." The worker says, as the acid test showed that it was real gold.

"Ma'am I'm telling ya, it's as real as the day is long." JJ says.

"It looks like somebody tried to melt it down." The worker says.