Chapter 9

THE HOSPITAL

Violet wakes up to the sounds of the heart rate monitor in the hospital, foggy and confused. The last thing she remembered was asking Pope if he was okay and now she was in a hospital room.

"Took you long enough, drama queen." Topper says, seeing that she was awake.

"Wow. No how are you doing? How do you feel? Thanks for the love T." Violet says, sarcastically.

"Guess it didn't knock out your attitude either." Topper mentions. 

"Mom!" He calls for their mom, who was a doctor at the hospital.

"How long was I out for? My head hurts like a bitch." She asked, seeing that Rafe was in the room as well. He was staring at her, not sure what to says.

"Two days." He answers, nervously.

"TWO DAYS?!" She panics. She had never slept through two days, even though she got knocked out because of head trauma.

"I got you a plant." Rafe says, referring to the small orchid plant that was on the table.

"Aww, thanks Rafe." Violet says, surprised.

"The boat belonged to Heyward. We think it was his kid." Deputy Shoupe says, walking in with Dr. Thornton.

"Why are the cops here?" She asks, panicking. Rafe shrugs, not caring.

"See, I told you it wasn't my fault." Topper says to his mom.

"Can we talk about this in private?" She asks Topper.

"So what happens now?" Dr. Thornton asks.

"If you press charges, it'll be up to juvenile court. He's 16 he could be tried as an adult and do time." Deputy Shoupe says, Topper has a look of guilt on his face.

"Press charges." Their mom says, ruthlessly,

"Mom no, please—" Violet begs. Topper's eyes widen, the attention of the whole room was on her. She tried to take off her IV and get off the bed, only to be stopped by Rafe.

"Calm down, you're gonna tear out the IV." Rafe says, holding her.

"She's not well, don't mind her." Their mom says to the Deputy.

"No, no you don't understand! Mom! You can't press charges!" She pleads, starting to cry. This was all just child's play until the cops got involved.

She knew that if a Pogue went to jail they would never get a second chance to turn around their life. She and her friends had infinite chances to mess up and start over but the Pogues didn't have that.

"Hey, hey, it's okay. You're okay." Rafe says, wrapping his arms around her, sobbing in his arms.

"She can't just press charges, it'll ruin their lives." Violet says to Rafe.

"They sunk your boat and pulled a gun to Topper's head, they deserve it." Rafe says.

"Deputy I said press charges." Dr. Thornton repeats.

"On it." Deputy Shoupe responds on his way out the room.

"Feel better kiddo." He says to Violet.

THE CHATEAU

"She hasn't been home in 3 days! Something bad happened." JJ says to John B.

" JJ says to John B