You're giving the orders now

"Lacerated spinal column, Crack Sternum, Shattered collar bone, perforated liver. I'm a hell of a hitting", Fury says. I nodded in agreement.

"Don't forget your collapse lung", The doctor says as he helps me with my shoulder.

"Oh, let's not forget that. Otherwise, I'm good".

"They cut you open. Your heart stopped", Natasha says.

"Tetrodotoxin B. Slows the pulse to one beat a minute. Banner developed it for stress. Didn't work so great for him, but we found a use for it", Fury explains.

"Why all the secrecy?" Steve asks.

"Yeah, I'd like to know that myself", I said, crossing my arms.

"Any attempt on the director's life had to look successful", Maria Hill says.

"Can't kill you if you're already dead. Besides, I wasn't sure who to trust", Fury says.

_______________________________________

Maria and Natasha sat next to Fury at the table. I stood next to Sam and Steve. Fury looks at a picture of him and Alexander Pierce. "This man declined a Nobel peace prize. He said, 'Peace wasn't an achievement. It's a responsibility'. See, it's stuff like this that gives me trust issues", Fury says.

"Why do you think I never trusted Rumlow?" I asked.

"We have to stop the launch", Natasha says. I nodded in agreement.

"I don't think the council's excepting my calls anymore", Fury says. He opens up a case that held three chips.

"What's that?" Sam asks.

"Once the Helicarriers reach 3,000 feet, they'll triangulate with insight satellites becoming fully weaponized", Hill explains.

"We need to breach those carriers and replace their targeting blades with our own", Fury explains.

"One or two won't cut it. We need to link all three carriers for this to work because if even one of those ships remain operational, a whole lot of people are gonna die".

"We have to assume everyone aboard those carriers is HYDRA. To get past them to insert these server blades and maybe, just maybe, we can salvage-", Fury was cut off by Steve.

"We're not salvaging anything. We're not just taking down the carriers, Nick, we're taking down S.H.I.E.L.D".

"S.H.I.E.L.D had nothing to do with this", Fury says.

"You gave me this mission. This is how it ends. S.H.E.I.L.D's been compromised, you said so yourself. HYDRA grew under your nose and nobody noticed", Steve argued.

"Why do you think we're meeting in this cave? I noticed".

"How many payed the price before you did?" Steve asks.

Fury looks at Natasha and Maria. Then, he looked back at Steve. "Look, I didn't know about Barnes", Fury says.

"Even if you had, would you have told me? Or would you compartmentalize that too? S.H.E.I.L.D. HYDRA. It all goes".

"He's right", Maria Hill says. Fury looks at her. She gave him a small nod. Fury looks at Natasha. He looks at me. I nodded. Fury looks at Sam. "Don't look at me. I do what he does, just slower", Sam says.

Fury looks at Steve. "Well...Looks like you're giving the orders now, Captain", Fury says.