Chapter 1 Meeting Her

School started again in one week and Dumbledore still hadn't found a teacher to teach Potions'. When would he? He had 7 days to find one and even then, the poor soul would have to cram in a summer's worth of course planning into a few short days.

Severus paced his office as he did so often, these days. His chin rested in his hand, his arms crossed and his billowing black robes swirling around him every time he turned briskly.

A knock at his office door took him from his thoughts. He opened the door and saw the Deputy Headmistress, Minerva, standing on the other side.

"Ah, there you are, Severus. Albus was looking for you." She said.

The dark haired wizard arched an eyebrow but said nothing as he followed the older witch towards the Headmaster's office.

They entered and where joined by the rest of the staff. They were all crowded around something...or someone.

"Silence, please!" The old wizard called out. "Hold your tongues for a few moments. I have an announcement to make."

The room quieted immediately.

"I have indeed found a candidate suitable for Severus' previous post as Potions' Master. They have been notified. It has been a month and a half since they have learnt of their new career. No need to worry, fellow colleagues."

Everyone looked at him disbelievingly. "And it never crossed your genius mind to let us know of these events?" Severus asked coldly.

"All in due time, my boy." Dumbledore said as he smiled warmly, his pale blue eyes twinkling behind his half-moon spectacles.

"When is the new staff member arriving?" Flitwick voiced.

His question was answered by a knock at the door.

"Right about now, my dear Filius." Albus said. "Come in." He called out to the door.

The door opened slowly and a figure stepped into the room.

A tall figure with long, brown curly hair and large sage green eyes. A pale complexion and flawless features. A small, round nose and pale pink lips. She was very beautiful and quite remakable. Dark robes and an imposing presence. Yet, she looked no older than 20 years of age.

The newcomer had an air of importance about her. Dignified and proud, yet humble and modest. A very rare combination.

The new arrival walked over to the Headmaster and shook his hand. "Lovely to see you again, sir. It is truly an honour to be under the roof of Hogwarts once more."

"Nonsense, my dear. It is quite an honour to having your talents here, once again. Let me introduce you to the staff." He said kindly.

The young professor smiled a small, timid smile and nodded once.

"Very well! Everyone, this is our newest member. She will be replacing Severus as Potions' Mistress while he holds the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts." He announced clearly.

The staff clapped and the witch inclined her head toward them.

As they were leaving to prepare their classes for the following week, they greeted her welcome and congratulated her on her new job.

One of the last to leave was Severus himself. He wanted to make sure that Dumbledore hadn't made a mistake as he so often did when it came to staffing the school.

"Hello." She said softly. "You must be Professor Snape." She inquired delicately.

A chill ran down his spine and he shivered involuntarily. He recognized her voice. The way his name rolled off the tip of her tongue sent a million memories racing through his mind, but he couldn't place where he'd heard it before. He couldn't place her...

"Yes, I am." He responded after a moment.

She stuck out her hand to shake his. She shook it firmly. Her long, pale fingers were cold as ice against his own.

"My name is Eliza Barron. I believe we've met once already. Many, many years ago." She smiled but it didn't quite reach her eyes.

Severus frowned slightly. "I think I would remember meeting someone such as yourself. You do not seem to be the type to be forgotten." He answered smoothly.

"Perhaps." She shrugged and pulled back her hand. "It is truly an honour to be filling your shoes, Professor. You are a very prestigious man in the world of Potion brewing."

He bowed his head slightly out of politeness. "Thank you, Miss Barron. Welcome to Hogwarts."

With that, she left the Headmaster's office and headed down the hall where McGonagall caught up with her to show her to the dungeons.

"Quite the character, isn't she, Severus?" Albus asked.

Snape nodded. "Indeed, Headmaster."

He turned towards the old wizard and sighed. "She is very mysterious. All she said was her name, that we possibly met many years ago and that she was honoured to be Potions' Mistress. That's not much to go on, sir."

Albus chuckled. "Sound familiar? Severus, I think you've found your match. Quiet, mysterious, suspicious, dark, studious. At least, that's how she used to be."

"Used to be?" Questioned Snape, arching an eyebrow.

"When she was a student, I mean." Dumbledore corrected himself.

Severus' eyes widened. "She attended Hogwarts as a student?"

"Well, of course, my boy! Where else would she have gone?" The old man said.

The dark wizard shook his head. "Impossible. There is no way that she came to this school. I have been through every file of every student who has ever attended Hogwarts and she was not there." He exclaimed.

Dumbledore's eyes twinkled. "Well, I suppose you must have missed her. She was definitely a student. I remember. Those pale green eyes are hard to miss and quite memorable. I suggest you look again."

He then left, his mind buzzing with questions. Was she a student when he was? No, she seemed too young. Or had she been one of his? No, he would have remembered that. Then when? When was she a student? How had he missed her?

***

That night, the staff held a small welcome party for Eliza in the teachers' lounge. All of the school's current residents went to welcome her, even Peeves the Poltergeist.

"Eliza, nice ter see yer again!" Hagrid exclaimed when he saw the younger witch. "It's been a long time since I've last seen yer 'round!"

The brunette smiled warmly. "Hello, Hagrid. It's nice to see you too and I certainly agree, it has been a long time." She said nicely.

"Oh, dearie! It's been a while, what have you been up to?" Madam Pomfrey asked as she approached her.

"Not much, to be honest. I've done some traveling and a few discoveries in my experimenting, though they didn't come without a cost! I did end up at St. Mungoe's quite a few times because of them." She said, laughing slightly.

The staff who had been listening laughed too and Severus was baffled. Her ability to hold a crowd's interest and attention was incredible. She would indeed make a good teacher for a bunch of dunderhead teenagers.

"I hope it wasn't too serious." Pomona said, comcerned.

"Oh, no. Just a few burns here and there. Though I almost lost my hearing when I was working with a few Mandagora. Feisty little beings, they are." She said.

They laughed again. The rest of the evening continues as such. People welcomed her back, she captivated their attention and made them laugh, then they reminisced of old times and the conversation moved on to someone else.

Everyone seemed to remember her except Severus. Why?