Chapter 9 Morning Miracles

Eliza awoke once more in a bed that was not her own. She yawned and sat up, stretching her arms and her back.

She looked around warily, before sighing contentedly and smiling to herself.

She stood up and opened the door slightly. She tiptoed into the living area and smiled. Severus was fast asleep in an armchair, before the fireplace.

Quietly, she walked over to him and placed a kiss on his forehead. "Good morning, Severus."

His eyelids fluttered open and he yawned, despite himself. "Good morning. How are you feeling?" He asked, concerned.

"Quite alright, thanks. I think I'll be heading down for breakfast as soon as I've changed into something clean." She responded. "Thank you for taking care of me."

Severus waved away her thanks. "No need to thank me, I was merely helping. You went through a lot yesterday."

Eliza offered him a small smile and left the room quietly.

She tiptoed through the corridors, in her nightgown from the night before. The stone floor, cold beneath her bare feet.

Making her way to the dungeons, she was careful to keep out of sight from early bird students.

Yawning, she turned the corner and nearly ran into one of the Slytherin students, coming from the Common Room.

"My apologies, Professor, are you alright? You're covered in blood!" The boy exclaimed.

"I'm fine, Mr. Bornean-Rasp. Just an incident that took place last night. All is well." The teacher answered, trying to go around the Head Boy.

He blocked her path. "What happened?" He ordered.

"That is none of your concern. Now, get out of my way before I get angry. I need to get dressed." Eliza snapped.

The boy scooted ever so slightly to the right. "I've got my eye on you, Professor Barron."

She took a steadying breath, adjusted her posture and walked away to her chambers.

When she finally gave the password, she pulled out a clean dress and robes to wear on top.

Her clothes were black, as usual. She passed a brush through her curls and put on a choker with emerald stones that matched her eyes. It had been a gift for her 16th birthday. Satisfied with her appearance, headed up to the Great Hall.

Severus was sitting at the High Table, twirling his spoon in his morning tea, when suddenly he was rendered breathless.

Eliza was heading towards the staff table, her hair cascaded down her back and framed her thin face.

Her dress shaped her figure and pronounced her curves. Her robes billowed around her gracefully, as she walked. She looked regal and dangerous. Confident and scary. She was beautiful.

She took her place beside Severus and offered him a smile.

"Hello, again." The woman said quietly.

"Hello." He replied. His eyes rested on the jewellery around her neck and he frowned.

"Something wrong?" She asked, stirring her tea and taking a small sip.

He shook his head and looked up at her. "No, I just find it strange that you are wearing a necklace like that. I believe I've seen it before."

She smirked to herself. "Quite possible, Severus. It was a gift for my 16th birthday. I received it before I left."

The Dark Arts professor nodded and turned to his breakfast, suddenly no longer hungry.

Noticing that he wasn't touching his full plate, Eliza placed a hand on his forearm.

"Severus, what is it? What is troubling you?" She asked.

He turned to face her and looked into her large, green eyes, seeing concern imbedded deep within them.

"Eliza, who gave you that necklace?" The dark haired man asked.

She looked down at her hands and stayed quiet.

"I did, didn't I?" He asked.

Surprised, her eyes snapped up and she nodded slowly.

"I thought so." He voiced. "I vaguely remember it. It's blurry, but I remember handing you a black satin box, before you gave me a hug and walked away, with a bag slung over your shoulder and a sad smile on your face."

"Severus, you're remembering." She said with a large smile. "This is wonderful! You're recalling your past. In short bursts, perhaps, but recalling all the same."

She clasped his hand tightly and her smile grew. She was happy.

Little did she know, the Headmaster, sitting a few seats away, was frowning, having overheard the conversation that had taken place.

Things were not going his way. Not at all.