Prologue

Be terrified, it's you I love

~ Medusa, Carol Ann Duffy

♟. . . . . . . . . . . . . .♦️. . . . . . . . . . . . . .♟

The white stallion broke into a furious gallop, rushing into the forest as if it was possessed by a demon from the deepest pits of hell. Its tiny heart was pattering like a machine gun in its effort to escape the enemies that pursued them. Pushing every muscle harder, it sought to reach the destination the rider was guiding them to. An ancient feeling called instinct forwarning it of the dangers getting caught would pose.

"A little bit longer, Yuri! Come on boy, you can make it!" encouraged the young woman on the saddle.

The urgency was painstakingly palpable in the tremble of her voice as she clenched the ropes with one hand and the elegant brown flute with the other. The white hanbok was muddy around the hem, the golden details decorating it lost behind the slime splattered on it. It had been raining earlier that morning, even the skies seemed to mourn her fate today.

The horse scoffed, speeding up when its sharp senses picked up what her human ears couldn't yet catch. Their oppressors were gaining ground.

"We're almost there, hold on, just a little bit longer!" she whispered leaning in closer as she clenched the ropes more tightly, spurring her horse towards where she knew these obelisks would glow in a yellow hue. The Manpasikjeok was in her left hand, her heart beating so fast in her chest, you'd think it belonged to a frightened little bird that had just heard a gunshot. Every heartbeat matched the horse's strides.

She heard the shouting before she heard the soles of their horses clash against the hard ground. She didn't have to turn around to know that it was the Royal Guard that was after her, she knew it was a miracle she made it this far but she had to try, she couldn't always rely on him to save her, her precious King was not her personal guard. Besides she shouldn't need protectors.

The Queen was unlike any other chess piece. And she was one now either she wanted it or not. The soft golden Jeogori that restricted her movements attested to that.

She had to learn so much in such a little time. How to play chess was one of them. A woman whom's earth had only recently become round, had to now learn how to navigate through the dark oceans and blinding suns in a universe so different from the ones she knew. She had always had courage when it was needed, but now she needed to acquire knowledge as well. Royal Court and politics were as difficult to tackle down as would a running away criminal in the narrow streets of Seoul be. She had to learn chess and she did.

Jung Tae-eul has always been sharp. She might not be as educated as her King but she was smart enough to keep up with him. She wouldn't let these unknown challenges intimidate her. When she realized she needed to learn on her own, Tae-eul rolled her sleeves up, tied her hair in a ponytail, and got down to scheming. By the end of the month, she was able to come up with the perfect plan to escape. She had fooled everyone. All the king's horses and all the king's men watching her; yet she still managed to escape.