My Experience with Lone Fox Dancing

What would inspire your life the most? A dream to achieve something. How would you go ahead with it? By framing a proper plan and taking appropriate steps towards and learning from your failures. How would you inspire yourself? There lies the secret to success. Many people use many methods to inspire themselves. I believe reading a good autobiography would surely inspire a person. Choosing the right story as per your dreams would definitely help a person.

With it, let me start this week by writing about one of the most underrated autobiographies, 'Lone Fox Dancing' written by the legendary writer, Mr Ruskin Bond. This book is special not because it is an autobiography, but it narrates the journey of the most loved writer of India. The book is written in a very simple way, just like his entire life, which he leads in a very simpler way.

The book starts with Mr Bond's childhood days. The unique thing about this book is he has an eidetic memory. He is in his 80s but still, he can clearly remember his childhood days in full details. He talks about all the interactions he used to have with the cook, the nanny and the other people who crossed paths with him during his lifetime. He remembers their conversations and in the later stage of his life, he used it to create many memorable short stories for everyone to enjoy.

His journey was quite unique. He never had a normal childhood. He encountered many people who were way elder to him, but he always understood them way better than their counterparts. He spent lots of time with them and imbibed many priceless memories. His stay with his father was the most memorable time of his life. He used to love that time and the bonding in between the senior and junior bond has been beautifully described by Ruskin Bond. He had his share of struggles during his childhood days but as is his character, he never cribbed about it and moved on. He always found a silver lining to all his problems.

Mr Bond's dream was to write. In his book he mentioned a beautiful thing, he just wanted to write because he loved doing it. He never cared for fame or loads of money, but his only motive was that his writing along with fulfilling his dream of writing should also earn the basic amount so he can fulfil his basic needs. His simplicity always reflected in his works and when you go through this book, you will understand his thinking.

He found happiness in small things and he loves the mountains more than anyone else I ever knew. He has mentioned about his experience of getting ideas about many short stories in nature's midst. His journey to London and meeting a leading publisher who helped in publishing his first book is a sweet journey of struggle which was written in such a way that the struggle would look like a bed of roses.

His literary journey takes you across many stages where you get to learn many things. The failures he encountered in his lives did not discourage him, but it encourages him to write more. His encounter with various publishers and how he got his small successes when his short stories used to get published, this part of the journey is highly inspiring and has been written in such an ease that you would float in the memories of Ruskin Bond.

 His encounter with various publishers and how he got his small successes when his short stories used to get published, this part of the journey is highly inspiring and has been written in such an ease that you would float in the memories of Ruski...

His simple life and high thinking made him the loved writer among not just children but also adults. He used to write stories for everyone and the maximum of his stories was born out of nature or through encounters with various people. He moulded his imagination in the form of words and created a beautiful story every time. In the book, he has mentioned how many a time he had to struggle to get his stories published. There were many days when he used to have a dry spell because no royalties would stop coming as no stories getting published. But that never stopped him from giving up on his dream.

For a moment of his life, he had given up his dream and worked with CARE in Delhi but slowly he drifted to writing when he was in that job. His inclination towards writing always pulled him towards it and he would never miss that call. After that, he focused full time on his writing. He became self-satisfied and returned to the mountains.

It was never like he got lucky as his short stories got published or in the later stage of his life; a big publishing house signed him, it was his hard work, his determination, and his love for writing which gave him the laurels and the love. The most important thing in his life was that he always remained happy. Till date, he is happy to write new stories. He speaks about the events when people come to his house unannounced to meet him. But such is his personality that he tries to meet everyone. He understands the smile on the face of those people who come to meet him.

He has also described many encounters with many famous personalities with whom he always had a pleasant experience. He describes these meetings as a learning experience for him. He could learn so many things from everyone. He could contribute many things back to society because of these interactions with people in different phases of his life.

He spent his maximum life alone and his family life again restarted with the introduction of Prem Chandra. He came as a cook and became an integral part of Ruskin Bond's life. Today, Mr Bond lives with his adopted family, Rakesh (son of Prem Chandra) and his family happily in the famous 'Ivy Cottage' in Mussoorie.

This book talks about his entire journey, which includes all his difficulties in such a manner that even his struggles would look like a learning lesson. For him, struggles were a part of life and he took it positively. He divides the book into four parts where he has described the four stages of his life. From his journey during his childhood days to the days of spending time in London, to coming back to India, to working in CARE in Delhi, to this final homecoming back to Mussoorie, and living his life happily.

At 280 pages, Lone Fox Dancing is a beautiful and sweet story of a young boy who dreamt of writing. The journey to achieve his dream was breathtaking and inspiring. His life lessons were simple and highly effective. He taught us to keep on working towards your dream honestly. His simple-mindedness and a blessed heart reflect everywhere in his writings and also in the mannerism of life. For all who have a dream in their lives and are still confused if they are going in the right way or not, this book will help you.

Until I upload my experience with another book, till then take care, be safe and keep on reading. Cheers.

 Cheers