twenty four; not a democracy

"Do you ever wish you hadn't met me?"

"Why would I wish that?"

Charlotte and Edward sat opposite each other on her double bed. It was the first time they'd actually been alone together since he had left.

She hadn't exactly forgiven him for everything he'd done, she never really thought she would forgive him. However, she knew how much little time she had left, and she didn't really feel like spending said time hating him.

"Because I've caused a lot of problems -"

"-You have not-"

"It's okay, Edward. You don't have to deny everything negative I have to say about myself, especially when it's true. All I have done is cause problems for you and your family."

It was strange. Her tone wasn't sad, nor was it happy. She was just speaking, but there was nothing behind the words. No emotion, no anything.

"They don't care. I think they actually quite like it." It was possible they didn't like having to change states for a period of time, or having to kill other vampires. But without Charlotte, their endless life would have been a bit more boring.

"They like being stressed out all the time?"

"Yes. Just like when you drive, you drive a way you know could piss you off. You love having a chance to beep your horn and complain."

"Hey!" Charlotte laughed, emotion finally returning to her, "That's different."

Edward couldn't help the smile that broke out on his face, "How so?"

Charlotte thought for a few seconds, "The adrenaline." She paused for a second to think, "I like putting myself in awkward situations too. Not awkward where you want the ground to swallow you up, but awkward 'Ah that's my ex friends with benefits at the checkout.'"

"How often do you see an ex friends with benefits?"

"Not much if I'm honest."

"Yeah I didn't think so."

Everything felt like it was back to semi-normal, it had been a few days since Charlotte had told April, Charlie and Bella. Since then Rosalie had stopped acting like she would break at every touch, Esme had stopped pacing while Charlotte ate, and Bella had finally been able to speak about something other than treatment.