Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

Chapter Six

Present Day

One Week Later

"Good job, Jace, you're really getting the hang of this. I know this computer system can be a nightmare," Scarlett said, giving her newer employee an encouraging grin. He beamed back at her, bouncing a bit behind the register. Scarlett had just hired two boys from the city who went to high school. They both needed jobs and when she saw how well they were able to follow her recipes and connect with customers, she hired them immediately.

The boys said they didn't know each other, but Scarlett saw them sneaking glances at each other during their training. She had worked the schedule so they had a few shifts a week together. She had to call Jace in as an emergency when Maeve didn't show for her shift. He lived in the area and came ten minutes later when he was promised double pay for the day.

"Hello, welcome to-" Jace began excitedly before the customer rudely interrupted him.

"Medium hot coffee and a... just give me a jelly doughnut," the man said and hadn't even looked up from his phone as he ordered.

"Sure, coming right up," Jace said, seeming slightly deflated. Scarlett saw this and followed him to the coffee where the customer couldn't hear. She placed a comforting hand on his shoulder and offered a smile.

"I always say that this city has it's mood automatically sent to crabby, but we don't have to be that way. You're doing really well here and this city could use more of your positivity," Scarlett said and was glad she said something because his face lit up again.

"Thanks, boss."

"We've been over this, Jace. Just call me Scarlett."

"Sounds good, boss."

Scarlett was about to walk away when she felt a hand grab her wrist. She stopped and turned back to the boy, eyebrow raised in question. "Yeah?"

"Ethan didn't get fired, did he?" the boy asked, doe eyes wide.

Her eyebrows knitted together in confusion. "No, of course not. Why do you ask?"

"Well, you always put us on together and I'm working today and he isn't, I know you called me in last minute, but I was sort of worried that-" Jace rambled, clearly nervous.

"I didn't fire him," Scarlett assured gently, "he just wasn't available when I called him in. I know you guys like working together, I tried to get him in today but he had plans. You guys are friends, huh?"

Jace looked flustered, mouth forming a small circle in surprise. "Oh! Well, he's nice!"

Scarlett couldn't help but grin, not wanting to pry on their relationship or suggest anything that might make the timid boy uncomfortable. She just gave him a small nod before she went back to the back to bake the next batch.

Scarlett checked in on her doughnuts, humming in satisfaction that they were nearly done. She had already made the glaze for them and put it in the fridge to cool. She was grateful one of the new boys showed up to the shift on time to work the register while she baked in the back.

Normally, Maeve would be working this shift with her, but someone hadn't even texted her to let her know she'd be late. She was about to send Maeve a text to see where she was when she heard her friend shouting, "Sorry I'm late!".

Scarlett let out a breath of relief. Normally, Maeve would text her she would be late and typically it would only be a few minutes past her shift- at most twenty minutes. This time she was over an hour and a half late to her shift with no texts. Scarlett had sent a few texts to make sure she was okay, and she was getting worried when she got no response.

icon lock

Show your support for Melanie Galeaz, and continue reading this story

by Melanie Galeaz
@MelanieGaleaz
Scarlett and Nate are the epitome of "right person, wrong time", and...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 30 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @MelanieGaleaz.