Chapter XVI. FIRSTS OF MANY

By the time Axel found himself making his way through the foliage of oak trees, the dark pit of the endless sky above him, he was pretty sure it was almost half an hour past midnight, which meant he was thirty minutes late. And, to make matters even worse, Axel's nerves had not even faded a little bit. Rather, they had increased immensely.

The night air was warm, not too cold and yet, not too hot-the heat of the sun had disappeared long ago. Cicadas were the only sound void for the soft pad of Axel's shoes against the dusted path leading towards the dock and the glistening pond, which mirrored the glittering stars and the soft silvery glow of the moon.

The woods always seemed to look different at night, as if the inky blackness and silvery haze from the sky freckled with stars offered a more ominous, yet peaceful version of the daytime trees and flowers. As Axel continued forward, he could see Will sitting on the edge of the dock, his legs hanging off the side as he looked at the night sky. His eyes were closed and his head angled upwards as if he were soaking in the glow of the moon like one would the heat of the sun.

Axel inched closer and cringed as the wooden dock creaked beneath his feet, Will whipping around to face him with a single dark brow arched.

"You're awfully late." Will motioned for Axel to come sit next to him with the crook of his finger. "I thought you weren't gonna come, batboy."

Axel pushed his shoes off and moved to sit next to Will, dangling his own legs over the side and into the water, which offered tiny ripples with every small movement. "I ran into coach," he said. "And Carter, and then that guy we both met in the hallway the first day."

"You ran into Carter? He didn't try anything, did he?"

"No, no. He didn't actually see me." Axel risked a glance at Will. "I just overheard him and your other teammates. They're planning something," Axel stated. "Said something about getting you demoted from your team captain position and our entire team suspended from the rest of the season."

"I'll talk to coach about it," Will responded, leaning into his shoulder with a crooked grin. "But for now, let's pretend that dickhead doesn't exist."

"You're not mad I'm late?"

He just shook his head. "Shit happens," he said. "I'm just glad you wanted to actually come."

"You thought I didn't?" Axel questioned.

"I thought you might get too scared."

"Me, scared?" Axel scoffed. "Never."

"Whatever you say, darling," Will said, leaning over to grab the basket Axel had failed to notice earlier. "I know it's not much," he was saying as he dug around the basket, "so don't laugh."

"No promises," Axel muttered.

A second later, Will pulled out four tiny candles that he had stolen from the cafeteria tables.

Axel laughed. "Resorted to stealing, have we now, Anderson?"

"I only steal for good reasons," he said. "And you-" he gestured towards Axel, lighter in hand-"are the best reason."

Axel rolled his eyes, but smiled nonetheless. "I'm flattered."

Will lit one of the candles, a golden glow shining down on the moon bleached dock, offering a hazy yellowish hue on his face as well. "Good."

Axel watched as he lit the three other candles and moved them to the corners of the dock. Then, he walked off the dock and pulled something from behind the trees. It was a large blanket, Axel realized as Will came out from behind the tree, lips curved into a smile.