Chapter V. FIRST NIGHT

By the time Axel finished showering, the semi warm water had turned ice cold. A part of him hoped that Will had fallen asleep, and that he would be able to slip into the covers unnoticed without facing whatever irrelevant topic he would bring up, though as he finished dressing in a t-shirt and boxers and left the small confines of the bathroom, he was met with the familiar face of Will.

His long, tousled dark hair was dripping onto his bare skin, and he sat at the edge of the bed, the glow of his screen lighting his face as he scrolled through his phone. It was dark in the room, his phone and an old lamp the only light source, creating a soft golden glow in the tiny room.

Axel shut the door, slung his bag over his shoulder and then plopped it down by the side of the bed, grabbing his phone from the charger sitting on the bedside table.

Axel couldn't help it. "Why is your hair wet?"

Will chuckled, raising a single dark brow. "I showered?"

Axel racked his brain for an explanation, but came up short. Where could he have possibly showered?

"The communal showers," he said as explanation. "Were you even listening to Mike Michaels?"

Axel sat on the edge of the bed, directly next to Will. "Obviously not, dickhead."

"No need to be rude." Will tossed his phone on his bag, which sat on the floor. "I thought we were besties, Hunter."

"How could I forget?" His tone was laced with sarcasm.

"It's okay, bestie." He was smirking. "I've been told I have that effect."

"I'm going to bed."

Will leaned back against the headboard, crossing his arms behind his head, his muscles flexing. "You are in bed."

Axel rolled his eyes. "I'm going to sleep."

"It's," he paused, leaning forward to grab Axel's phone from his hands, "10:13. You're really that tired already?"

"Anderson." Axel sounded like he was whining, but he could honestly care less. "Give me my phone back."

"Only if we get to cuddle tonight."

Axel fought the rising blush forming on his cheeks. What was happening to him? "Go to hell."

Will tossed him his phone, lips tugged into a slight smile. He seemed amused. "I'd rather not."

A beat of silence, then Axel's voice as he moved towards his side of the bed so that they were lying next to each other, inches apart. "You're impossible."

"Impossibly gorgeous? I know."

Axel groaned, reaching over to turn off the lamp. As he flipped the switch, the room became coated in darkness. He rolled over so that his back was facing Will's, closing his eyes.

It was silent.

Too silent.

A moment passed, before Will let out a breath of air. He sounded frustrated.

Axel forced himself to ignore it. He would fall asleep soon.

"Axel?"

His eyes fluttered open only to be met with complete and utter darkness, void for the single beam of moonlight sneaking through the curtains. "Hm?"

"Tell me a story."

Axel rolled onto his side, eyes wide as he faced Will. He backed up in surprise, their faces close enough he could see the gold flecks in Will's eyes. He was staring at him. "Excuse me?" Axel questioned.