Chapter II. THEY WERE ROOMMATES

Axel watched from the back of the bus as the rest of his teammates piled onto the vehicle at 5 o'clock in the morning. It wasn't raining anymore, though there was a slight fog wrapping itself around the foliage in the distance. If Axel squinted his eyes enough, he could see his father's bright yellow jeep driving off in the distance.

Closing his eyes, grateful for the fact that the two teams took different buses, Axel fell further into his seat, the low hum of country music and a few of his teammates arguing lulling hum to slumber.

It didn't last for long though, the yellow bus reaching its destination fairly quickly. Axel slung his backpack over his shoulder, hopping out of the humid bus, face pulled into a frown as he took in their hotel.

It was, to put it in the nicest way possible, small. The building, built out of wood, wasn't necessarily ugly either though. Axel just doubted how they were going to be able to fit 30 or so kids in the hotel rooms.

"Axel!" Jack was running up to him, face also pulled into a frown. "We don't get to pick who we share rooms with."

"What?" Axel fought the urge to scream.

"Coaches picked the roommates."

"Please tell me you're kidding," he begged, fixing his baseball cap in an attempt at doing something with his hands to get rid of his nerves.

"Nope."

Great. Just great, Axel thought. He'd probably have to share a room with one of the basketball jocks now. He sighed. They were all assholes.

Major assholes.

"Hunter," his baseball coach called, motioning with his hands by the front door of the log cabin of a hotel. "Come get your room key. Your roommate's already inside your room too. It's room 21. And be nice. I don't need any more fights. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes, sir."

His coach dropped the room card in his hand, the plastic card cool against his palm. Squeezing his hand around the key, Axel marched his way to room 21, bag in hand.

He made it it to his room within a minute, the hallway a short walk from the foyer. The carpets were a dark scarlet, a stark contrast to the surprisingly white walls adorned with old paintings. Axel didn't stop to look at them. He didn't really care for art like that.

Slipping his card inside the door handle, he waited for it to flash green. Two seconds later, Axel was pushing against the door, making his way inside the horribly small room.

There was one bed. That was Axel's first thought.

Then, his eyes roamed to the two dressers on either side. His roommate's stuff was flung across the small space on the floor, making it incredibly hard to walk to the left side of the bed.

Stumbling across the two bags on the floor, Axel dropped his bag by the left dresser and fell across the bed with a large sigh. He had to share a bed for the next two weeks with a basketball jock?

"Batboy?"

No.

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

This couldn't be happening. Axel closed his eyes, squeezed them, then opened his eyes to peak at the boy standing across from him.

He was in the door of the bathroom, his long, tousled brown hair hanging just above his forehead in a mess of curls. Will Anderson smirked at him, the corners of his lips tugging upwards at the distressed baseball player.

Almost immediately, Axel sat upwards. This couldn't be happening. Did God really hate him this much?

Did he really have to share a room with him for the next two weeks? Even worse, a fucking bed.