𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟎. i got you, brother.

I GOT YOU, BROTHER.

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

DEAD BOY (book one)

DEAD BOY (book one).
°•        CHAPTER TEN        •°

"        YOU'RE OKAY, BROTHER.       "

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

DAXTON HAS NEVER REALLY LOST SOMEONE. His father abandoned him, sure, he was separated from his mother, and he's had to lose friends here and there on his adventures of bouncing from foster houses, but he's never had someone he cared about die. His grandparents were dead long before he was born, he's an only child, as were his parents. He imagines it's an awful feeling, knowing someone you love is never going to come back because Daxton has only grieved the loss of people still alive and choose to never return. However, he can't even start to understand how Bill Denbrough must feel with every bit of new information they gather, other than he desperately wants to believe his little brother is still alive despite all the red alarms blaring out facts that Georgie Denbrough is just one of those beings that are never going to come back. And Daxton doesn't blame him because he's never lost a sibling.

There's not a single person who has the heart to tell Bill so and turn him away when he calls for a Losers meeting in his garage. Daxton, who was still running on a high from watching the fireworks, takes the trip with Charlie on their bikes to the Denbrough home where Bill was waiting. The ride has mostly been full of silence other than the squeaks of their bike's chains, neither of them knowing what to say until Daxton breaks it because he's feeling very brave and possibly a little stupid.

"Can I ask you about it?" He speaks up with his eyes locked on the road, pretending he doesn't notice Charlie bringing his attention towards the side of his face for a few seconds and make a hum of questioning. Daxton sighs because he respects Charlie's feelings and would never force him to explain something he didn't want to, but his curiosity is getting the best of him with everything going on. "You know what I mean," he says. "About It. The dog, Nala, or - whatever."

It's quiet again for a while. Daxton thinks he fucked up and hit a nerve in his foster brother. He's prepared to ride in silence again, thinking Charlie wouldn't answer, but then he suddenly does. "Rough times," he begins after a few pumps of his legs against the pedals. "My mom's boyfriend had this dog that was just a little terror." Daxton waits patiently as Charlie gets out whatever he kept bottled up for so long. "I'm not... Jesus, I don't think every dog out there is aggressive. Nala isn't. She's what made me think I wasn't, you know, a freak for being afraid and all." Charlie snorted. "Until now."

Daxton can feel his stomach churn like he'll be sick. Jesus, and he thought his parents sucked. "I'm sorry that happened," is all he can manage to say quietly.