Chapter 33

Nolan took me to see a musical comedy show. I'm just as surprised but unfortunately he didn't leave his teasing self at the palace. We were in disguises which helps us blend in. Guards, casually dressed, followed at a distance.

We went to a Games Con and played virtual and arcade games. Nolan won every round setting a new high score. I lost a hundred bucks to him. I swear I'm never betting with anyone ever again.

“Why don't you come try out our lovers game?” A lady walked up to handing us a flyer. “There's a prize for whoever wins and our local brewery offers a free wine  tasting after.”

“Uh no. We're not-”, I gestured to the two of us, “-a couple.”

“Your rings tell a different story."  She glanced at our hands.

Ugh. The wedding bands.

“We'll be there.” Nolan gave her dazzling smile.

She blushed and thanked us. “Bye.”

“'We'll be there?' What do you mean by that?" I said.

“Aww, come on. It can't be that bad.” He started walking ahead.

“What happened to responsibility and maturity?” I asked when I caught up with him.

“They went on a hike. Come on, loosen up. Look, there's a comic shop up ahead.”

We bought a couple of books and continued on our adventure with no destination. Some part of the roads were locked down because of the Costume Parade. We rubbed paints on our cheeks, giggling like four year olds. I waved at the  parade circus. Clowns juggled balls, ladies danced to the music playing in the background; monkeys danced around in another vehicle and a choir of men sang in another.

Excited, Nolan pointed at every amusing personality. I found myself infected with it and stared at him.

“I know I'm handsome but you shouldn't stare too much.” he winked.

I rolled my eyes. “I'm thinking hard for a savage reply.”

He snorted. “Where would you like to go next?”

“The beach. It's been so long, Come on,” I pulled him away from the festivities. Nolan called for his Lamborghini. It arrived in a few minutes with two other sleek black jeeps. The driver got off the car and Nolan and I got in. Nolan drove to a private beach. We parked the car at a distance and walked the rest of the way. There were very few people present.

The sea was like a rippling blanket of brochure-blue , the waves rollers of gem-blue dashed the sand. The air was pregnant with the smell of salt. I could see dolphins flipping into the air like crackling popcorn. Their bodies flashed in steel-grey and I could almost touch their glee. It was quiet except for the occasional cawing of the seagulls.

“I wanna get in.” I took off my shoes.

He cleared his throat and shook his head, “I-I can't swim.”

“The almighty Crown Prince can't swim?” Astonished I asked.

“I'm not perfect.”