Chapter 21

"Step on the brakes. Jam the brakes." She yelled and I swerved to the right. The tires screeched against the asphalt and we came to a stop. Chuckling nervously, I turn to face her breathing hard. The maids and guards hurry towards us, apparently worried. She waved them off.

"We are fine." She tells them and to me, "As much fun that was, you have to work more on your reverse."

"Yes ma'am" I bob my head in agreement. The Dowager, Grandma Penelope has taken upon her to teach me how to drive. It's been good so far, if you count me driving like a snail good and ever since I've had to reverse in driving, well-

"You can do this, I believe in you." She pat my shoulder.

"Thanks, Grandmama Penelope." I returned her smile.

"Now turn on the engine, move that gear and drive." she gripped her seat belt tight.

I let out a slow sigh. I got this. I drive in circles and try on the reverse again. I, unsurprisingly, failed until I got it right at the fifth try.

Everyone cheered hands clapping. I stepped out of the car exhaling loudly. I bounced​ on my heels grinning. Finally.

"Crown Princess Annabelle"

I sighed inwardly. There is only one person in the seven continents that calls me by name in full. Queen Gabrielle. I courtesied and said,
"Your majesty."

She nods her head to me and greets grandmama Penelope.
"Your dance class start now."

Argh kill me now.

I plastered​ a fake smile. "Yes ma'am."

I followed​ her to the ballroom, just as I have been doing for the past week. It's funny nothing has changed in these past two months. Nolan and I don't talk much to each other. I hung out with Henry weekends. I go out with Queen Gabrielle to balls, charity events, auctions and elite parties.

"Good to see you again, Princess." Now I don't know whether he was being sincere or sarcastic. With Mr Valentine, one can not be sure. This short bearded man happens to be my dance teacher. I got to give it to him however because he hasn't given up on me yet. I'm just not into classic dancing. It's slow and boring.

"Hello, Mr Valentine." I courtesied.

"Today you must get it right. The ball is tonight." Queen Gabrielle said clapping her hands twice. The music begins to play. I step forward and bent my legs holding my skirt up slightly. I place my hand on his shoulder while he held the small of my back. We held hands and swayed gently.

"One two three, one two three. Heads up dear."

Seriously, how can he say heads up when his height ends roughly at my chest? I clam my mouth shut and dance. He twirls me then holds me tight. Finally, the music ends. I courtesied again.

"Beautiful." I heard​ the queen clapping. I titled my head to the side to see her smiling. A great shock, I tell you. I have never see her smile till now and I am proud to say my usual spook face of a mother-in-law looks absolutely radiant when she smiles. But it soon leaves.

I guess I'd have to always go beyond my way to impress her to see that smile.

"That was absolutely lovely." she shook hands with Valentine.

"Yes. Her training finally paid off. She dances so beautifully just like you." He pat her hand.

Hello. I am right here.

"Yes, yes. Annabelle, please go prepare for tonight."

"Yes, Your Majesty." I courtesy before the room.

I guess I really did well. I mean my feet doesn't hurt anyone. I smile to myself. Nothing can go wrong now.

"Ah. It's Crown Princess Anna." I turn at the call of my name. Genevieve, Henry's mother gifted me with her always present smile. Though we have never really had an interesting conversation, I've got to say she is very nice. Way nicer than Queen Gabrielle.

"Hello, Genevieve." I waved and walk over to her.

"Good to see you, little princess."

I only smile at her. What were you supposed to say to that?

"Come, let's have tea." she led me to her abode.

Seated in her comfy sofa, I watched as the maids pour us tea.

"Thank you." I saidand wait for my hostess to go ahead.

"So, how has your training been?"

"Well, it's been good these few days." I raised the cup to my lips and sipped.

"Oh has it? You know i was once just like you. A crown princess. It's really hard work and tiring. But with an handsome husband and lots of clothes and jewelries, what's not to love about this place?"

Okay. I bobbed my head still sipping from my cup. What I'd do for a cup of chilled juice. Genevieve continued to babble on and on about the good ol'days.

".... We were just like you. I and Richard were so close just like you and Henry. I never really knew my late husband Eric. It's kind of sad."

I snapped to attention. Were Genevieve and King Richard in love? If they were, it explains a lot. Like how she hangs on to his very word and giggle when nothing is funny. She stands so close to him, the queen seems to be invisible every time. Somehow I didn't like her but it made me feel guilty because she is just so nice.

"Oh my. The party starts soon. I have to go pick out a dress for tonight. Red is Richard's favorite color. Yes, red it is. Bye dear."

So she left me there so confused. Meh. She was just probably babbling. I got up and walk to our house. I cringed. I don't know why I call it 'our' house. It just seem right and not right.

"Hi Mara. We need to prepare for tonight." I said as I enter the room glad to see a face I absolutely trust.

"What would you like to wear?" She asked opening the doors of my walk in closet.

"You know me, Mara. I have absolutely no degree in things such as this. Just pick any dress."

She smiled and walked into the closet. I take off my clothes and don on a robe. She comes out moments later holding up a purple satin floor length dress. It was boat neck beaded and sleeveless. The lower end of the skirt was flowing white with beautiful white designs that seem invisible. It had a golden belt with the royal emblem.

I gasp. "How come I didn't know I have this? You are a fairy godmother,you know that?"

She grinned and place the dress on the bed. "Go freshen up."

An hour later, I was dressed and had make up on. I carried a golden purse and wore golden shoes. I step out to find Nolan and Henry waiting.

They both turn at the click of my heels. "Hey, guys."

Seeing Henry's jaw drop a little made me blush. Even Nolan did a double take.

"Are you guys just going to stare? How do I look? The gold isn't too over the top, is it?"

"You look absolutely stunning." Henry breathed out.

"You don't look bad yourself." I smile and look to Nolan. Why won't he say something? Why was I waiting for him to say something? Eww.

But I got to say they look so damn hot. It took a lot not to gush over them. Henry had on a white tuxedo with Nolan's was black. It fitted them perfectly showing off their manly muscles.
Come on girl. Get it together.

"Come on. We'll be late." Henry looked from Nolan to me.

"Yes, we will be." Nolan finally said looking away from me.

Jerk. He couldn't even say he liked the dress. Pouting a little I walk in between them.

Till next time.

# vote, share and comment.