Ch 27 - Staryi Castle

CHAPTER 27

STARYI CASTLE

Viktor spent the whole trip south arguing with Romulus and the girls to no avail. Now the group hunkered at edge of the forest, gazing up at Staryi Castle, whose turrets stood like four powerful rooks on a chessboard. The two western towers rose up like bishops, and beside them endured the oldest tower, the white queen in all her glory. Viktor prayed the king was away.

“Take a last look,” Charlotta said from behind Dimovna’s tragedy mask. Then she slid a hood over Viktor’s head. A comedy-masked Evenova did the same to Romulus, next cuffing the half-locked manacles.

Cutting onto the road, the Masqueraiders guided their prisoners toward the castle gate. Without the sense of sight, each step felt longer to Viktor, but when Charlotta began to push him roughly, he knew they were in sight of the guards.

“Who goes there?” barked a man.

“Move aside!” sneered Evenova’s voice. “We have the Leopard’s prisoners!”

“Who are they? And what’s in your bags?” Viktor took the guard’s authoritative tone as proof the man was in charge.

“Fool!” spat Charlotta with enough venom that Miss Dimovna would have been impressed. “That knowledge is not for your ears. I have high orders to take these criminals to Captain Ulfrik.”

“Not without confirmation of your claims.”

“Confirmation? What does this look like to you!” Evenova must have flashed the king of spades card, because the guards fell momentarily silent.

“Open the gates!”

Massive gears clanked as the iron gates creaked open. Viktor was almost thankful he was handcuffed and blindfolded. The face of the great castle would have been enough to rob anyone of their courage.

“Bragin, you come with me.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Zhilov, keep charge until I return. None enter but the Leopard himself.”

“Aye, sir.”

Good. He must still be hunting, Viktor thought. Then he felt the guard grab his shoulder.

“Hold it a minute—you imbeciles haven’t even fastened these handcuffs properly.”

The girls went quiet as the head guard snapped the iron shut. Fear surged through Viktor as a burly hand led him forward. The girls couldn’t take out the guards alone! Their second plan was crumbling faster than the first!

Had Viktor had sight, he would have seen the dead weeds and the dried water well of a courtyard that was once a beautiful garden. At the end of the white stone path, statues of two giant lions flanked the castle’s oak double-doors, and inside the first grand hall, black-and-white marble tiled the floor. A crystal chandelier hung overhead.

Just as the Gypsies had foretold, Viktor heard many guards shift to allow the group to march up a stone staircase. Next came a long abandoned hallway, where Viktor truly began to panic. Yet in the middle of his internal struggle, he heard two sickly crunches.

For a moment, all was silent, and then smooth hands slipped around his, undoing his cuffs and pulling off his hood. On the floor lay two muscled guards—unconscious.

“Impressive,” Romulus said to Charlotta’s white mask.

“Uh, she’s not the only one with a baton,” said Evenova, pocketing Miss Dimovna’s old nightstick and handing over Viktor’s and Romulus’ weapon bags.