Ch 25 - The Plan

CHAPTER 25

THE PLAN

Kasta Way looked smaller than usual. During the winter months, many of the Gypsies had traveled south in search of warmer weather—a migration the Leopard must have been aware of, for he left but a few guards to patrol the region. And while Viktor took in the bright green clovers and dazzling wildflowers of spring, Romulus had eyes only for potential danger, scanning the colorful Southeastern Steppes as they moved from tent to tent.

Thankfully the trip to the graveyard proved uneventful. The Crossbones Clan happily ushered them into the Doghouse, their dilapidated headquarters, and an hour later, the group sat in a fabric-strewn circle, having finished listening to the blood brothers’ dilemma.

“Excellent! We’re in,” said Dukker immediately.

Cappi nodded excitedly alongside his twin. “Yeah, we’ve talked about raiding the Grobnitsa Castle for years!”

“No, we’re just searching Grobnitsa for the Silent Deal,” Viktor said, using the castle’s old Gypsy name. “But we need your knowledge.”

Rover shook his head with disapproval. “Breaking into the castle is impossible. The twins are just jealous they’ve never been invited to perform acrobatics there.”

“Quiet!” Dukker said. “Before I shove your flute through the hole in your head.”

“Who here has performed in the castle?” asked Viktor.

Rover raised a hand, as did Roksana and her dancer friends, Lala and Camelia.

“I’ve often juggled there,” said Arseni hesitantly. “And Rover’s right—it’s a dangerous game, sneaking into Staryi Castle. You’d have to be a performer to even have a shot.”

“Which is why you’ve got to teach us a skill—just to fool the gate guards. From there, we’ve got this map,” Romulus said, rolling open the castle blueprints from the House of Cards. “Since most of this isn’t labeled, we need your help identifying rooms, guard routes, and exits. Any details you remember might save our lives.”

Andrei had been quiet for some time. Now the boxer spoke: “So you want to go into the castle … without even knowing where the Silent Deal is hidden?”

“We don’t have a choice,” Romulus answered. “Every minute, the Leopard is getting closer to completing the weapon he’s building in the castle. Meanwhile, he’ll find Viktor and me … and finish us.”

For a moment, the Crossbones Clan dwelled on the future; then chaos broke out.

“Lala, Camelia, and I will start the map!” said Roksana, snatching up the parchment.

Dukker clapped. “Who wants to ride to Grobnitsa and snoop around with Cappi and me?”

“You’ll need some security,” said Andrei, cracking his white knuckles.

Rover turned to the blood brothers. “Which of you wants to learn music?”

“Because the other one gets burned,” said Arseni, grabbing juggling balls.

Suddenly the door burst open: Belch waddled in. “What the Dickens?”

Andrei and Arseni exchanged a look. They picked up the obnoxious actor, pushed him out the door, and swung the lock shut—all while Belch rattled off a list of threats.

“Is he alright?” asked Viktor. “You know, after Ulfrik …”

“Cooked his pants with that cigar?” A smile flickered on Roksana’s face. “He’s healing. I tried to help, but Pumpkin Patches can’t just be applied anywhere.”