Chapter Eight

A few minutes later, rain started pelting down. Looking around, I realized I couldn’t be bothered to go into the surrounding buildings. I could either go back or hurry towards University Hall, a residential hall for males. There was also a restaurant and other buildings nearby.

I was so angry that I decided to walk in the rain. As people scrambled into different buildings, I continued walking with a few that were either wearing rain coats or carrying umbrellas over their heads. During the rainy season, there are items one has to carry with them at all times but in my haste to discuss with Chris, I had forgotten to carry the essential items. And he’d basically ignored me. As weird as I knew I looked with my straightened hair lying flat on my head, I ran on.

The drops became heavier with time, hitting me on the head like little stones.  As I drew near Complex Hall, I started crying, not because of any particular reason but out of frustration. Maybe it was time to abandon this case. After all, I didn’t even like Suzan. But how would I be a detective if I kept giving up? Deciding to lay low for a while, I went to my room, grabbed a towel and soap then headed to the bathroom.

When I was done, I reached out to retrieve my towel but it was gone. For a few seconds, I panicked before calling Nina’s name.

“Yeah,” she answered. Her room was opposite the bathrooms.

“I’m in the bathroom and someone has taken my towel,” I yelled out.

“Why?” she inquired. How was I supposed to know?

“I don’t know. Get me something or I’ll be stuck here forever.”

About thirty seconds later, a red towel appeared on the door frame.

Tying it around myself, I walked out.

“What happened?”

“I have no idea,” I saw my blue towel hanging off the trash can. “There it is.”

“Someone put your towel in the trash can,” she stated the obvious. “Who could it be? You know how almost all the amateur detectives in stories end up dead?”

I refrained from informing her about the previous day’s hit. “I’m going to get dressed.”

As I passed the landing, I saw Harriet coming up the stairs carrying packets of food, probably from the canteen.

“Hi,” she said. I nodded and sauntered to my room.

I was completely shaken. For some minutes, I sat on my bed, my heart thumping. For the first time, the threat of death seemed real. Playing detective didn’t seem like fun anymore. Someone desperately wanted the hide their identity as a killer and they were so close. It was an easy thing, throwing my towel in the trash, but the threat lay in the air. I couldn’t continue risking my life like that so I decided to leave everything to the police.

I grabbed some money and decided to pass by Nina’s to see what she was having and how it tasted. My appetite was gone and I couldn’t decide what I should eat.

“Her mother has refused to pay my money,” I heard Cosie’s voice. Since it was lunch time, the corridors were busy. I pulled out my phone and pretended to be texting, leaning against the wall near the door.

“But she’s dealing with so much now,” Nina reasoned.

“I’m dealing with so much, too. That was part of my tuition and I need to pay before the exam starts.”

“Why would you lend your tuition money for a silly birthday party anyway?” Harriet asked. I narrowed eyes. Harriet always seemed very polite and nice. How could she talk like this?

“I know it was a stupid idea but now I need my money,” Cosie wailed. Poor girl.

“It’s good you’ve learnt a lesson. Some of us want to eat so will you stop whining so much?”

“Harriet-“ Nina cautioned.

“No, I’m tired of Katherine’s friends creating chaos in here. Can’t we have a peaceful life?”

When I saw Prim walking up the stairs, I decided to knock.

“Come in,” Nina said and seemed visibly relaxed to see me when I entered. The tension was so thick you could cut it with a knife.

“I’ll go now.” Cosie rose and walked out. “Sorry for bothering you. I won’t come back to this room until Kathy returns.”

No one replied.

“You seem angry, Harriet.” I commented. She just glared at me and stabbed a piece of meat with her fork before putting it in her mouth. I continued watching her until Nina nudged me. “Hey,”

“I was going down and wanted to know what you were eating,” I grabbed a fork from the tray. For some reason, I looked up and saw Harriet glaring at me. “Tastes good.”

“I know,” Nina smirked. “Go buy your own food.”

I went and looked through the window to check if the canteen was congested. As I did, I saw something that made me almost gasp.

“I have to go,” I said, practically running out of the room.

I didn’t care about the food anymore. Grabbing a piece of meat from Nina’s plate, I bolted out of the door. That was my lunch.