Chapter 2; Year 1

When the other excited first years flooded into the Great Hall for the first time, I stayed behind with Fred and George, waiting for a certain Slytherin to arrive.

Fred nudged me. "There he is, Golden!" I turned to see the blonde boy sulking in the back of the crowd, two goons standing to either side like him like bodyguards. As they approached, I almost squealed seeing that he was now sporting bright yellow robes! Have fun talking trash about Hufflepuff house now. For a second, I almost felt bad, because it looked like he was about to cry, but then he caught my eye, noticed the Weasley twins, and was now furiously shoving his way towards me.

"A Malfoy? I'm impressed," George remarked.

"But he's never gonna let you hear the end of it!" Fred laughed. "Ickle, ickle choice, Golden."

I was thankful when a very strict looking professor strode up in front of us and silenced us before the Malfoy boy could reach me.

"Now, when I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted," she said. "Abbott, Hannah." A pigtail-ed girl walked up and put on the hat, which contorted its face in funny ways, as if it was thinking.

"HUFFLEPUFF!" shouted the hat.

Applause from the table on my right. Snickers from the Slytherins.

After one more Hufflepuff and two Ravenclaws, a girl with pretty hair named Lavender became the first Gryffindor, followed by an awfully scary girl named Millicent. The hat declared her Slytherin without hesitation. I didn't listen much to the sortings after that.

"Granger, Hermione." My head perked up, and I smiled to myself as Hermione eagerly put the hat upon her head and plopped down on the stool. I held my breath.

"GRYFFINDOR!"

I clapped enthusiastically along with the Gryffindors at that.

The second name that caught my attention came much later with the loud "Malfoy, Draco." The hat hadn't even touched his head before it screamed in a confident voice -

"SLYTHERIN!" 

Malfoy went and sat with his minions Crabbe and Goyle at the Slytherin table, not even caring about his yellow robes anymore. I scowled; he wasn't any fun.

The next girl to walk up was an extremely enthusiastic girl with long blonde hair named Lily Moon. The hat took a while to declare her Slytherin.

Wonder which house I'll be in, I thought to myself. Mum was in Gryffindor, but I'm not brave. Or smart, or ambitious, or even very kind for that matter. What if I go to sit on that stool and I sit there for minutes and minutes and finally the sorting hat gives up and I'm sent back home? They wouldn't do that, would they? That happened to mum.

I was snapped back to reality when I realized that the Great Hall had fallen unusually silent. Half a minute passed, and then sound came back in hushed whispers, almost as if it had been in a bottle and suddenly someone put the cap on.

"Potter? The Harry Potter? Is that really him?" A girl beside me said. "I'm Aashi Zatura."

"Yea, it is him, I met him earlier," I said, not daring to look away as poor Harry sat down, looking uneasy and letting the hat dip over his eyes. Everyone sat in complete silence for almost a full minute before the hat boomed out, with a touch of uncertainty -

"GRYFFINDOR!"

This time there were actual booooooos from the Slytherins, although they were soon drowned out by the deafening applause of the other houses.