49| Blurry Memory

Start from the beginning

For the first time in what I can guess to be two hours, I peel open my eyes slightly to scan the room. George is sitting in a horridly shaped blue seat, leaning against a plain white wall. His head is tipped back against it, and his eyes are shut. I know George is tired. Between balancing his own life, having a wedding to prepare for, and being here- he would be exhausted.

I open my eyes further, hoping to see a brown haired boy sitting in another blue chair with his eyes peacefully closed- and his cheesy grin acting as a ghost on his face. Flynn isn't here. Dianna isn't, Camila isn't, Liam isn't, Mr and Mrs Davis aren't either.

It's only George Fields and I. Left alone together in a hospital with rays of cold sunlight spilling into the room. It feels as if it's tying me down to the bed. The last I remember, it was dark outside. Too much time has passed. Like I keep thinking- so much could of happened in that time that I'm not aware about.

I swallow, hoping to calm my dry throat. The steady flow of machines that I could hear fade away now that they're programmed into my head, as if the odd feeling from the oxygen mask that has been on my face since I woke up.

I wanted to take it off, but I don't know if I'm suppose to. I haven't had one of these on for a long time.

"George?" My voice is quiet to gain his attention. I was going to lie here silent for longer, but there is no avoiding all of this. His eyes dart open and he sits up quickly, ensuring he had heard me correctly.

George fixes the glasses on his face so they aren't sitting on his noise anymore, while standing from the seat. "Hey, Kiddo." His blonde hair reminds me so much of Liam's, as does his blue eyes. They look so much alike. "How are you feeling?"

I don't care how I'm feeling. The burning sensation from my chest and the cold air blowing through my mouth mean nothing to me. "Where's Flynn? Is he okay?" I ask the only meaningful thing I want to know.

Everything intensifies. As the thought becomes a sound, I'm terrified. I'm terrified of losing Flynn Davis.

I can't breathe. I feel like water is filling my lungs once more, and it's only escape is my eyes. George goes silent. Flynn. Something has happened. I know it. I can feel it. It's crushing me. The oxygen mask is sucking the life out of me.

"Kiddo, you need to calm down." George Fields steps closer to my bed, having his hands awkwardly hover by me. He doesn't know what to do. "Calm down, it's okay. I need you to focus on breathing, Violet. It's very vital right now for you."

They're just words. I can't calm down because he said so- I wish it were that easy. I feel so hollow, empty, devastated, upset, angry, all at once, I don't know how I'm feeling. It's waves of confused feelings, then nothing. Like my mind has shut off. My whole self wreaks of pain.

"He- he-" It tumbles off my lips in heaves. All I can picture is the Davis boy being nothing more than a memory. I would have to prepare to see a photo of him standing above a lovely flower wreath, Dianna Davis holding onto her parents closely, a wooden casket being lowered into a muddy ground.

It was in this moment that I wish I had drowned. I wouldn't feel this overwhelming, crushing, pain. I never wanted to feel this suffering, yet it's dragging me under to depths I've never felt before.

"Kiddo-" George Fields's voice suddenly returns to my ears. I couldn't hear him. I didn't want to hear the bad news he had. "Breathe, breathe." His hand presses down on my forehead, the other wrapping around my hand. "Flynn is at home. He's healing- I think. I've been here the whole time with you and Allie, so I'm not quite sure how he is."

It's like someone snapped their fingers and froze the severe pain inside me. Flynn isn't dead. "W-what happened to him?" I'm at much more ease knowing he is alive, but the feelings still linger in worry for his current state. "Can I see him?"