4.4

KATHARINE GROANED AS SPENCER'S PHONE WENT OFF AT ROUGHLY FOUR IN THE MORNING. She rolled off of his chest, pushing him away from her and laying on her other side with her pillow covering her ears. The way her stomach churned made her regret eating as many cookies as she did.

As Spencer answered the phone, Katharine stumbled off into the bathroom to dispel the contents of her stomach. She hacked into the toilet, coughing as Spencer wandered over to help hold her hair up.

"I'm fine," Spencer assured the person on the other end of the phone. "Katharine's just having a rough morning. We'll be there as soon as we can."

She spat into the toilet before wiping her mouth with a square of toilet paper. She discarded it into the bowl before flushing. Katharine stood, with Spencer's help, and made her way over to the sink so she could rinse with mouthwash.

"Was that Emily?" she asked, spitting into the sink while Spencer turned on the shower. She watched as he stripped and got under the stream of water. Katharine reached for her facewash, figuring she should at least start getting ready for the day.

"Yeah," Spencer said, massaging the shampoo into his hair. "Lucky you, first day back and you get to fly cross-country."

Katharine rolled her eyes as she dried her face. Her first day back was supposed to be filled with paperwork and getting to know the new team, not chasing down another psychopath on the west coast. She pulled open the drawer to her left, looking for the bottle of toner she usually used.

"How different is it?" she asked, looking at him through the already fogging mirror. When he gave her a look, she couldn't help but roll her eyes once more. "I know we said no work talk at home, Spence, but I'm nervous! What if I come back and I ruin the team chemistry or--or what if--"

"No what if's!" he interrupted her, stepping out of the shower. He dried himself off before wrapping the towel around his waist, grabbing another towel to dry off his hair. He wrapped an arm around Katharine's waist, pressing a kiss to the side of her head. "And no work talk. I'm sure your nerves can hold off until we get into the car."

Katharine pushed him away, pouting as she moisturized her face. He squeezed her shoulder. "But if it'll help," he pecked her lips, "I know you've got nothing to worry about. Everything will turn out fine."

Katharine sighed. She dropped her moisturizer back into the drawer and closed it, turning to the side so that she could wrap her arms around his neck. She pulled him closer for a kiss. "Thank you."

He kissed her again. "Okay, now let me go so I can boil a sweet potato for you before we leave. Gotta get your daily vitamin A for healthy fetal development," his hand landed on her stomach, thumb rubbing the barely-there belly bump.

"Speaking of fetal development," she said as he left the bathroom in search of an outfit for the day. Katharine reached for her toothbrush, figuring just this once wouldn't kill her teeth. "According to Bucky's text from last night, our kid is the size of a pomegranate seed now."

The most surprising thing about Bucky finding out about her growing a literal child in her uterus was how invested the super soldier was in the pregnancy. About an hour after he left, he had sent at least thirty articles about pregnancy. Katharine had then proceeded to print out said articles and handed them over to her husband, who was more than happy to give them a read.

Spencer had then broken out a box of old pregnancy books from when JJ was first expecting, saying that there was no harm in giving them another read. Katharine didn't have the heart to bring up the fact that he had an eidetic memory and technically didn't need to read them again.