Chapter 2

Chapter 2

“I think you're ready to go on your first mission.” Ivan continued as if this wasn't a big thing and was something he talked to students about every day. “I've been observing some of your lessons, and I've also been talking to some of your teachers. You're a troublemaker, but you're good at what you do.” He expected his fingernails while I gaped at him.

“Oh come now, Amelia. You knew this day was going to come eventually. You're the best in the school and you need to get out there and prove yourself.”

“Yeah, I know. But I just didn't think that “that day” would be tomorrow!” I said, though excitement was bubbling at the pit of my stomach and was steadily growing bigger. I was finally going to get out this place and do something! Everything I'd been doing here was purely academic, and I couldn't wait to put my skills to the test.

Ivan and I talked for a while about what the mission was about, but I didn't pay much attention, my mind kept wondering to the kind of things I'd be doing.

“But you can only go on one condition.” His voice broke through my fantasizing.

“What's that then?” I asked warily. I knew all to well about this guys “conditions”.

“You've got to stay here at the Institute. You're not going to be allowed to leave after your mission.”

“What!” I shrieked for the third time today.

“I'm sorry Amelia. You're just too valuable to the Institute.” His face was guarded, careful of his emotions.

“Why?” I asked suspiciously.

That, my dear, is a conversation for another day.” Ivan handed me my file, and dismissed me.

I crossed the cobbled courtyard towards my dorm, so that I could have a read of my file, before going to magic class. I flicked through a few pages as I walked.

Mission Objective

A family drug business has been going on too long. Take out the father, and then the mother and two kids. Caution: They carry weapons.

The objective was brief, yet it struck my heart as I turned the page and looked at the picture of the kids. Children. They were seven years old, and I had to kill them. The picture showed twin girls grinning up at a camera. The entire family looked Mexican and all had brown-black hair and brown eyes. Innocent kids. I couldn't do that. It just hit too close to home. I watched my parents blow up in front of my eyes, and I didn't wish that on anything. But if I don't follow orders, it's me that dies. So, it's me or them.

I flicked past another page, not watching where I was going, when I walked right into someone who was also obviously not looking where she was going either. The file slipped out of my hands, and into a puddle.

“Aw yebut ” I yelled, and dived for my soaking files.

Der'mo! I'm so sorry!” The girl I bumped into yelled. I was used to hearing people speaking Russian, seeing as a lot of us are actually from Russia or the surrounding countries, but I didn't recognize this girls voice.

I grabbed my soaking file and stood up. The girl was about five foot seven, with thick dark brown hair and sparkling green eyes that looked a little weary.

“It's okay, don't worry about it.” I waved off her apology, and turned my attention to the papers. I put my hand on the papers, and concentrated, as all of the water gathered in a ball at my hands. I looked at the ball for a few seconds then threw it in the puddle.