Chapter 1

Chapter One

The cool morning air gently hit me in the face as I jogged down the track, listening to my i-pod. It was part of my normal morning exercise. I ran about ten times around the track, thinking about the ton of homework I had waiting for me in my dorm room. I tended to switch off during these times, and not take much notice of my surroundings. I basically went on autopilot.

I completely lost track of the time until my best friend, Violet Balanchino, jogged up beside me.

I'd met Violet on my first day here. She had dark wavy hair that fell to just above her shoulders, and a pretty heart shaped face with tan skin, curtsey of being Spanish.

“Hey,” she greeted.

“Hey to you too.” I smiled at her.

“Er, do you have any idea what time it is?” she asked, I guessed that I was pretty late for my first lesson.

“Um...daytime?” I asked jokingly.

“No,” she rolled her eyes. “We're ten minutes late for combat.”

“Well why aren't you there?” I stared accusingly at her, I'm not the only tardy one here.

“Well, I slept in!” she defended herself, even though 'I slept in' wasn't much of an excuse.

I laughed at her laziness and lead the way to the gym, shrugging a hoodie on top of my t-shirt that I'd been running in. It was late November and the air was starting to get chilly, though I hadn't really felt it when I was jogging.

When we got there, we slipped in through the back door, and crept to the back of the class. Miss Ramos, who had her back to the class and was instructing a couple of students, hadn't seen us come in. I was just about to do a silent whoop, when she whipped around.

“Ah, Miss Kovalenko and Miss Balanchino. Have you finally decided that you're worthy of this class?” she spoke with a slight Spanish accent, like Violet did.

Ramos was normally a nice woman, she was kind but tough at the same time. She knew what she was talking about, as she used to be an assassin herself. I sighed, I swear the woman has eyes in the back of her head.

“Amelia, seeing as you looked like you were about to celebrate your not-so-successful sneak in, you can be next. Come on.” she clicked her fingers at me, and I walked to the middle of the gym, and everyone stood in a circle around us.

“Hmm...” Ramos said as she looked around the gym for my opponent. “Michael. Come, you can fight Miss Kovalenko.”

yebut.” I swore under my breath. I may live in America, but I could still speak Russian. Michael Ivanski, another one of my friends stepped forward. He grinned lopsidedly when he looked at me, and I smiled back. He had jet black hair, and piercing blue eyes. Michael was probably the best in the class, aside from myself.

“Think you can take me, Mimi?” he asked sarcastically, using the nickname only he used. Everyone else called me Amelia, and if they didn't, they'd learn the hard way to call me by my proper name. I only let him because I was really close to him.

“You know I can Ivanski, and you know I'm gonna whoop your ass too.” I replied, cracking my knuckles and trying to look nonchalant. Cat calls and ooooh's echoed through the class. Michael chuckled and advanced towards me.

We circled each other like predator and prey. The class was deadly silent as we watched each other. The entire time, I kept my mind on his face, waiting for any flicker of movement. Finally he gave in, and attacked me first. He feinted to my left, and then threw a punch to my right. I wrapped my arm around his, locked his elbow and then spun him to my left. I then swept his feet out from under his legs, and he fell to the floor. Michael grabbed hold of my legs, pulled, and I landed flat on my back as well. I rolled to the side, but he chased after me. We grappled on the floor for a while and then finally I managed to get him in an arm lock, him on his front with his arm behind his back, and me sitting on his back.