Chapter 23

The hum of the car's engine is gently rocking me, and I think back to Romeo's explanation about his food.

"I hunt inside prisons. It's the best place."

"You always pick the high-security quarters."

"Most of the time."

I realize this part of him will exist forever. My boyfriend will remain a dangerous predator, whether I like it or not. Romeo left the freeway to take back roads. We move more slowly, and I observe the landscape with curiosity.

Wallachia! Hills and plains, where the soft green of meadows rubs shoulders with the sky's blue.

It's still fall.

We drive through villages with houses on both sides of the road. Fronts are painted in red, green, blue, as in Ireland. Some kids are waving at us, visibly excited as the two Lamborghinis pass by.

We go up a path to reach ruins rising amidst lush vegetation. It's probably the vestiges of a church built with red bricks framing large round stones sealed with mortar. Of what appeared to be a majestic edifice, only a tower remains.

Both Lamborghinis stop. Romeo and Neag clear the branches covering a metal platform. It's broad and solid enough for cars to position on it, but I'm not reassured.

"Fear not," Romeo advises with a divine smile.

Shit! He's so handsome in the slightly blue morning light.

He operates a remote control, and the platform starts moving, slowly descending lasting several minutes. We finally arrive in the underground parking, generously lit by fluorescent tubes installed in the ceiling. Romeo and Neag garage the two Lamborghinis next to other cars.

The platform goes up to the surface with a sound of jacks. "It must be the ambulance," Neag suggests.

They seem determined to wait for it. 

I'm tired and would like to rest in Romeo's room. It's a big step forward, but I don't want to stay alone in this creepy place. I wonder how far from the surface we are.

The ambulance is coming.

Both rear doors open, and a tall, good-looking man exits the vehicle. I've never seen him before. He's impressive, with a bearded face and very long hair. He rushes towards Romeo and Neag to hug them, "My dearest sons! My two great warriors."

Damn it! Romeo and Neag's father woke up. 

Neaga and the doc get out of the ambulance as well. "My beloved is back," she exults happily. He bursts out laughing. "The good climate of my Wallachia, no doubt about it."

I'm in the Lamborghini, unable to leave the seat because of my cast. The giant approaches the car and takes me into his arms. 

I don't appreciate it.

"Come on, girl. Hold still," he orders.

He turns to his sons and asks, "In what room should I put this lovely treasure?"

"Mine, Father," Romeo answers briefly.

The giant is laughing again. "Congratulations, Danciul! This pretty concubine is gorgeous."

Concubine! You can't normally speak.

Romeo could tell him to go to hell. Except that both brothers are at orders. Instead of a father and his children, it sounds like a leader instructing his lieutenants. Neaga is overexcited. "She's our seer. She will be helpful."

In your dreams, old bag! I will discuss what I'm willing to do to help with Romeo, and what I find unacceptable.

We leave the underground parking and go up the stairs. We arrive in a vast circular kitchen with cupboards almost everywhere, and a central island to cook food and wash dishes. It's all luxurious, spotless. The place seems little used, no bread basket or fresh fruits. 

The Danesti are vampires, so this kitchen is unnecessary. Just like a strange dining room with a magnificent table entirely in marble. Skillfully worked, it's surmounted by two shiny black chandeliers, delicate metalworks. No doubt, war councils and battle plans are held here, not meals. 

An atrocious image could appear.

The Danesti has captured live prey, and they groan on the table, close to being eaten. 

It's a macabre orgy of flesh, blood.

Fortunately, it's not a vision, just my imagination. At least I hope so. The rooms are upstairs. Another staircase and the giant put me on Romeo's bed.

Phew! I can't wait for him to go. 

He's scary.

He and Neaga make me nauseous. 

I trust only my Romeo. The bloodsucker takes leave. "Rest for a few hours, young seer. My dear Danciul will look after you, as we all do."

His name is Romeo.

Can't hear me or what?

My boyfriend is here and just sat down close by. Despite my cast, I'm wrapping myself around his tattoos as best I can. Our lips meet in a passionate kiss.

Fireworks!

On the surface, the world may well break up, fall apart. 

I don't care about humanity's fate.

The room looks apocalyptic.

Red, purple, black! These are the colors of my Romeo, my infernal rider of the night.

He comes inside me, both alive and dead. 

I close my eyes, immobilized by this damn cast, passive despite myself. A scorching heat invades us, then engulfs us like precious, dazzling waves, and tears flow.

Just one life to love you desperately, my immortal!

***

The Danesti clan: Neaga of Hotarani, Neag, Basarab, the doctor and Romeo Danciul