Chapter 21

Cassandra is dead.

Cassandra is dead.

I have to say it several times.

Romeo is standing in front of me with a grave face. He's like a soldier about to engage in the worst fight of his life and not sure if he would come out of it unscathed. I think he knows something about the slaying of my only friend.

"I witnessed Cassandra's murder! In my vision, a man was leaning over her. I also saw this weird kid who looked crazy," I say. "The man is Mihail Draculae, and the child may be the clan's seer," Romeo confesses with a sigh.

"Draculae! I know a book with an almost identical name. It was published in the early 20th century by a British author. The hero is a frightening aristocrat, Count Dracula, who feeds on human blood."

He's not answering.

Cassandra's murder comes to me repeatedly. She's on her knees, and the bastard has his face against her throat.

Her throat! That's impossible.

Cassandra's killer could be a bad bloodsucker, like Count Dracula. Romeo and Neag aren't genetically engineered super-soldiers.

Could they be hunters? It makes a lot of sense.

I'm looking at Romeo and exclaim, "You're a hunter, a vampire hunter." Visibly impressed, he gazes up at the sky.

I'm proud of him. He's fighting for the survival of humanity and is my wonderful boyfriend.

"Berenice," he says kindly.

He's gonna tell me his job is dangerous. 

I'm ready to face the worst beside my Romeo.

"I must be honest with you," he announces with a firm voice. "I've been dead for over five hundred years. During a battle, I beheaded Vlad Draculae's other son, the usurper who had stolen my throne. In revenge, Mihail hit me from behind."

What?

It's a good thing I'm sitting down. Otherwise, I would collapse on the floor and break my ass.

He will probably tell me it's a joke.

But it's not!

My dear Cassandra is no more.

She was involved in something way beyond her control. 

Something over five hundred years old!

Romeo's beautiful golden eyes seem to implore me. It's as if my beloved means, "All is well, my Berenice! I'm still your sexy boyfriend, except I'm dead."

I'm taking a deep breath.

But how about Romeo?

I don't even know if he's breathing.

I believe he is.

"Why did this Mihail Draculae go after Cass? You're his enemy, not Cass," I ask.

Romeo looks relieved, no screams like 'Aaaaargh! You're dead... help.'

For now! 

I don't promise anything about what comes next.

"The seers create a psychic connection between themselves when they use their power. In this way, they can find each other and hurt each other," Romeo explains calmly.

I still don't understand. How did this relate to Cass?

"You recall when you were attacked in the woods. The same day you had a vision," he continues.

"I remember that! There were two armies close to fighting each other."

"It was in Transylvania, in Sibiu. That's where I died," he admits.

Damn it! The visions are true.

"You can travel to the past, present, and future. Your gift is immense," my wonderful boyfriend, who expired in the middle of nowhere more than five hundred years ago, confirms.

Explain to me why this problem only happens to me?

I didn't win the XXL size pompom.

One question! How can Romeo be so old and always perfectly handsome?

He just smiled like he wanted to make love. Maybe that's when I should yell:

You're dead, damn it.

I can't have sex with a cadaver.

Once again, I'm reminded of Cassandra's horrible murder. I still don't have the answers to my questions, although he's doing his best.

"Cass was there when you had a vision at the diner. The power of the young seer probably allowed him to notice Cass was your friend."

He permits himself a time of reflection before concluding, "I guess Mihail and the kid came to the boarding school with the idea of attacking Cass, not knowing where your room was. Maybe all they had to do was wait for her to get some fresh air at the window for the brat to recognize her."

Cassandra's life depended on so little.

To look outside or not!

Our school wasn't safe. From the moment I had visions, Cass was in danger without me realizing it. The evidence is in, and it's ruthless.

Cass is dead because of me.

I'm mad at Romeo.

I'm mad at Neag. 

They abandoned her.

I bitterly blame Roméo, "Your precious seer was secure at the manor, but you and Neag didn't think about Cass for a second."

He still has that begging look.

"There was one chance in a thousand Mihail would kill her, and you were in a lot more risk. Now, that fucking little brat wants to see you as dead as Cass. It's him or you!"

It's not Romeo in front of me anymore. It's Danciul, the dangerous soldier who cut off the head of an enemy without hesitation. I think I understand what the Danesti wish from me.

"There's no way I'm helping you slaughter a child."

There, I said it.

Romeo or Danciul, how to distinguish between them?

Danciul died over five hundred years ago on a battlefield, and Romeo is the love of my life.

***

Joaquín Rodrigo composed The Aranjuez Concerto. He wanted his concerto to transport the listener to another space and another time to capture 'the fragrances of the magnolias, the birds' songs, and the trickling of the fountains'.

Petrit Çeku is a Kosovo-Albanian classical guitarist.