CHAPTER SEVEN: THE BATHTUB

Start from the beginning

"Well, who owns Hawkins lab?" Dustin questioned, glancing at River to see if she knew, which he only earned a shrug from her.

"Something about Department of Energy, right?"she quickly checked with Lucas who gave a firm nod.

"Department of Energy, what do you think that means?" Dustin went on questioning, before Mike had spoken up, with a small gesture of his hand.

"It means government, Military."

"But it- it Says energy." River furrowed her eyebrows, quickly looking back down at the can.

"Just trust me, alright? It's military my dads told me before." Mike reassured, before earning another nod from Lucas.

This whole time El had been listening in, and she was most likely just as confused as River.

"Mikes right, there's soldiers out front." Lucas reminded the young girl who sat beside him as she gave a nod, in realization.

"They make like lightbulbs or something?"

"No weapons, to fight the Russians and commies and stuff."

River had glanced up after this and exchanged a quick look with Lucas before they both turned to El, causing Mike and Dustin to switch their attention to her as well.

"Oh Jesus, this is bad." Dustin shook his head, as he muttered this in an obvious panic.

"Yeah, really bad. The place is like a fortress." Lucas added in, causing River to rub her eyes, growing even more worried than she already is.

"Whatever we do, we can't go home. We're fugitives now." Mike explained, making River groan before looking up at him in a panic.

"This is so stupid, this is so stupid." She muttered, shaking her head as she placed her hands in her lap, causing the boys to look at her.

"Well, we are." Mike spoke up with an obvious look of annoyance as River returned the expression gladly.

"Yeah, well you don't think I know that? This just sucks." She mumbled, taking short breaths as Mike gave her a shrug.

"Well, you're gonna have to deal with it, just like us." He sassed, causing River to glance at him once again, with a look of disbelief.

"I am." She muttered, causing him to scowl as Lucas and El exchanged looks.

"G-Guys." Dustin started, grabbing their attention. "Do you hear that?"

Of course they heard it, they heard the helicopters approaching and once they looked up, they surely saw it as well.

"Go, Go, Go!" Mike rushed and they all quickly grabbed their bikes, before attempting to stuff it under a bus.

"It's stuck!" Dustin yelled out, pushing his bike various times, causing Lucas to run over in a hurry and push it in for him.

"Let's go, Let's go, hurry, come on!" He muttered before running into the van, and River had followed quickly behind, getting down immediately.

"Mental." Dustin stated simply, with a shake of his head and a look of disbelief, all while the kids frantically looked around, taking deep breaths.