CHAPTER THREE: THE MONSTER AND THE SUPERHERO

River and Mike found themselves forcefully pushing the doors open and walking into their local supermarket, along with the others.

She was supposed to help both Jo and Andy today but excused herself from saying she had a "mission." Which might've been stupid, but it was all that came to mind when they called that same morning.

"Come on." Mike muttered, grabbing her hand and leading her to an isle with all of the drinks.

They looked through, and River had grabbed a small pack of water before Mike interfered. "Eddie likes this." He pulled a pack of Yoo-hoo from the fridge, and he looked at her as she put the water away.

Mike watched her briefly, and he kind of frowned. It had just been different with them lately and the feeling of that sucked. Mike just wanted them back.

River turned to Mike, and she sighed before speaking. "Do you think we're doing the right thing? Cause I do but something tells me that, like- I don't know." She shrugged, and she looked up at Mike who gave her a nod of reassurance. His eyes were kind of wide, because she startled him, bringing him back to reality from his deep thoughts.

"We are, River."

He stared at her for a minute more, and she stared back. How did River know? How did she kind of figure this was happening. That something bad was going on.

Mike didn't know, he really didn't.

Both had jumped at the sounds of the group running past, Steve pointing to the cashier as he passed by the two. "Let's hurry up, yeah?"

˗ˏˋ✦ ✦ ✦'ˎ˗

"They're pretty convinced you killed Chrissy." River spoke quietly, in addition to what Dustin had just been saying about the police on the lookout for Eddie.

"Like 100% kind of convinced."

It was around 30 minutes later, and they all were now sitting in the boathouse, providing Eddie with the food and drinks he had very much been needing.

"...And the good news?"

"Your name hasn't gone public yet. But if we found out about you, it's a matter of time before others do. And once that gets out, everyone and their shallow-minded mother is gonna be gunning for you." Robin informed, and she leaned against the metal shelf, with a small frown.

"Hunt the freak. Right?" Eddie scoffed in response, gripping the cereal box he was eating from.

"Exactly."

"Shit."

"So before that happens, we have to find Vecna. Kill him and prove your innocence." Dustin offered a smile, but it wasn't as if that would make it any easier for Eddie.

"That's all, Dustin? That's all?" Eddie had deadpanned sarcastically.

"Yea. No that's pretty much it."

"Yea, while what Dustin's saying might not make total sense to you. We've been through this stuff before." River shrugged and she looked to Robin who nodded in agreement.

"We usually rely on this girl who has superpowers, but, uh, those went bye bye so...uh-" Steve looked down as he spoke, his arms crossed before Mike interrupted.