(6) mindy

"typical luis"

"typical luis"

"Oh, god girl," Connie said as she walked up with Julie that next morning. Kenzie was leaning against the locker next to hers as she grabbed her books for English. She was exhausted. She had spent all night thinking about Ryan and Luis and she had to wake up extra early because she walked to school.

"I know I'm a mess," She said with a sigh as she shut her locker. "I walked to school today."

"You walked?" Julie asked surprised. "What time did you wake up?"

"Five," She said as she rolled her eyes. "And I went to bed at three."

"I'm sorry, Kenz," Connie said as she hugged her. "I know this sucks."

"Connie filled me in," Julie said as she hugged her after Connie. "I hope you can figure this out soon. Connie and I have your back through this."

She smiled as she nodded at them. She was so thankful that she had these two girls and Nate to help her figure out what she was going to do.

"First, I need to talk to Luis," Kenzie said she said as she started walking down the hall with her two new best friends at her side. "I need to apologize about lying and explain the situation."

"Good idea," Connie said with a nod. "He's probably at his locker. If he's not then we can ask Adam or Charlie."

The three girls quickly made their way towards where Luis' locker was. Kenzie didn't really know where it was but Connie and Julie did so Kenzie just followed close behind.

Before they turned a corner, Julie and Connie turned around and stopped her before she could even see around the corner. Both of them had wide eyes as they held their hands out to keep her next to the lockers.

"I don't think you want to see this," Connie said as she shook her head, her eyes full of sympathy.

"It can't be that bad-"

Her words fell short when she saw what they were talking about. There was a blonde girl pushed up against Luis' locker, Luis' taller self pushed up against her perfect body. Their lips were locked, the two of them in their own world as they sucked each other's faces off.

It hurt her. It really hurt her. She felt a mixture of sadness and anger fill up inside her as she watched the boy she wanted to kiss, kiss another girl. She wanted to stomp over there and pull her by her blonde hair but at the same time, she wanted to collapse on the ground and cry.

She felt the tears blurring her vision and she knew she had to get out of there before they escaped her eyes. She quickly wiped her eyes and turned around to walk away. She could tell that Connie and Julie were hot on her trail but she ignored it. She went into the first bathroom she saw and locked herself into a stall.

"Kenz?" She heard Connie's voice through the stall. "Please come out?"

She felt her heart breaking with each breath she took. The few tears that managed to escape were running down her cheeks. She knew that she wanted Luis, she hated the fact that he was kissing another girl that wasn't her.

"Who was she?" Kenzie asked as she opened the door, after wiping her tears and controlling her emotions.

"Her name is Mindy," Connie said softly. "Luis had a thing for her freshman year."

"Mindy," Kenzie repeated to herself, her heart breaking.

"He most likely doesn't feel anything for her," Julie said as she tried to lighten the mood. "He's upset over finding out about Ryan, he could be using her as a distraction."

"I doubt it," Kenzie whispered to herself, shaking her head. The bell rang which caused the three of them to jump.

"Come on," Connie said as she wrapped an arm around Kenzie. They walked down the hallway and Kenzie had to try her hardest to control how she was feeling. She knew Luis was in the class and she didn't want to see him.

She was surprised to not see him when they entered the room. She felt everyone staring at her, including her brother. She put her books on her desk and was going to sit down when she felt a hand on her arm.

She turned to see Grayson looking up at her from his seat with pleading eyes. She quickly pulled her arm away from him and took her seat.

"Kenz?" She looked over and saw Nate looking at her with worried eyes. She shook her head, knowing if she spoke she would start crying.

"Later," She mouthed to him. He sighed and nodded his head, knowing that something was wrong with his best friend.

Luis came strolling into the room with not a care in the world. A smirk plastered on his face as he took his seat next to Kenzie. She gulped as she watched him sit beside her.

"Late, Mr. Mendoza?" Their English teacher, Mr. Donovan, asked as he crossed his arms over his chest.

"Sorry, Mr. D," He said as he leaned back in his chair, the smirk still on his face. "I was a bit busy."

Yeah, busy. Kenzie thought. Busy with a girl that isn't me.

***

"Hey, Kenz!" Charlie shouted from his car. "Why are you walking home?"

Kenzie was on her way home that day after school. She refused to go home with Ryan and her brother so she walked home. Nate tried to come with her but he she wanted to be alone.

"Didn't have ride," She shouted to him. "I'll be fine!"

"Get in!" He shouted as he pulled over. Kenzie sighed deeply, she wanted to be alone but this forty minute walk wasn't doing her good. She was exhausted from barely sleeping and holding in her emotions all day so she gave in.

She opened the door and slid into the passenger seat. Charlie looked over at her worried as he started driving off again.

"Why didn't Ryan give you a ride?" He asked as they drove down the street.

"It's complicated," She said as she leaned her head against the window.

"Does Luis like Mindy?" She blurted out. She felt weird talking about it and showing that she was upset over it but she had to know. She trusted Charlie and knew he would tell her everything she was dying to know.

"Well, they were kind of together freshman year," He said , making her heart drop. "But she cheated on him and they broke up. She always tries to get with him but he never allows it."

"I saw them kissing this morning," She said quietly as she avoided eye contact with him.

"Typical Luis," He said as he rolled his eyes. "He didn't actually mean it."

"That's what Connie said," She said, her voice rising slightly. "How can you make out with someone and not feel anything?"

"A distraction," He said as if it was obvious. "Don't tell anyone I'm telling you this."

She turned her attention toward him, looking over at him ready to hear what he had to say.

"I won't," She said with a nod, eager to know what Charlie knew.

"After our first practice with you," He began. "Luis told Adam and I that he was going to make you his one day."

Her eyes went wide when she realized what he said. She was filled with a rush of excitement and she suddenly forgot about being tired and wanted to skip around.

"I have to break up with Ryan," She blurted out as she looked over at Charlie.

"Do you like Luis?" He asked her, his eyes wide as he glanced over at her.

"I think I do."