(3) new friends, new feelings

"you are my best friend and I always have your back and I will take your side"

"You are actually my favorite person ever, Mackenzie Palmer!" Luis said as he threw his arm around her as they walked out of school that day with their friends.

"I am so very honored, Luis Mendoza," She said laughing as she placed a hand over her heart. "May I ask why?"

"Everyone is talking about how you completely stood up to Riley," He said as he leaned up against the railing outside, a smirk on his face. "No one ever talks to Riley like that."

"Well, that changed today," She said with a proud smile as she looked up at him from under his arm. "He was being rude to Germaine, he pushed him. I wasn't going to allow that."

Luis smiled down at her, "You know, you're a really cool person Kenzie."

She felt herself blushing and she tried her best to hide her cheeks behind her hair. She knew it was so wrong for her heart to be beating this fast but she didn't know how to control it.

"You're pretty cool, too Luis," She said with a smile as she nudged him in the side.

"Have you heard about the party?" Luis asked her, his arm still wrapped around her shoulders, as Guy and Connie walked over to them to join their conversation.

"Oh, Kenzie. You have to go!" Connie said with a smile. "The annual beginning of the school year parties are so fun!"

"I love a good party," Kenzie said as she shrugged her shoulders. "When is it? I'm pretty sure my mom would let me go."

"This Saturday," Guy said as he had his arms wrapped around her waist.

"Kenzie! Oh my god! You can come over and get ready with Julie and I," Connie said as she squealed and threw her arms around her in a hug. She laughed as she hugged her back, she already liked Connie so much and they just met.

"I would love to," Kenzie said smiling. "I need some girl time. Living with two boys is not fun."

"You have another brother?" Luis asked as he wrapped his arm around her again since he had to move it when Connie attacked Kenzie in a huge hug. She felt her heart flutter when he did so.

"No, just my annoying twin," She said smiling, even though her and Grayson were in a little bit of a fight because of this morning. "Nate lives with us, he moved in when were twelve."

Nate, Grayson, and Kenzie had been close since birth. Their moms had grown up together which basically made them best friends before they were even born. They were only two months apart, the twins being a little older than Nate.

Nate's mother died when they were twelve and his father was an awful man who got drunk and cheated on his wife all of the time. Kenzie and Grayson's mom offered to let him live with them so he didn't have to live with his father.