Prologue

"Yuri-chan, do you really think this is the place?"

"Kind of...but don't you want to give it a try?" Hissing in annoyance when a branch left a scratch on her leg, Yurika continued to follow the path using the fancy compass that she brought off a site.

"If we find it, this is one more thing to our collection. A photo with the statue of Izuna-gongen! There are theories that this is from where Kishimoto got the inspiration for Uchiha Izuna."

Izuna...gongen? Ako thought in confusion. 'Being a huge Naruto fan is one thing...but I've never heard even the greatest Naruto fans think of coming to this godforsaken place!'

But unable to leave her friend alone and feeling curious as to Yurika's outlandish theory, she followed her.

"So what is the Izuna gongen?"

"A tengu god. Izuna Gongen is depicted as a beaked, winged figure with snakes wrapped around his limbs, surrounded by a halo of flame, riding on the back of a fox and brandishing a sword"

"...where did you find this information anyway? Did you randomly try to trace back the reasoning of how Kishimoto named each of the characters?"

Turning back, Yurika pinched her thumb and fore-finger and waved it around. As if waving an invisible napkin or paper. "Haven't I been consulting this paper from the beginning? This was a map that a crow delivered to me!"

However, Ako tilted her head in confusion.

She couldn't see anything?

"Yuri-chan, place it on my hand." Ako said half jestingly. Even if her friend was an ardent anime fan, being a chuunibyou in the final year of high school is not a good idea.

However, Yurika placed it on her hand without hesitation. " Go ahead."

This was when Ako freaked out. She could clearly feel the texture of the rough paper but couldn't see it! Trembling, she handed it back to Yurika.

"I-I-I...can touch it. But I can't see it! This is weird. L-Let's go back shall we?" Ako almost whispered.

In any horror movie, this is definitely the right move to make. The point is - curiosity killed the cat. It wasn't scary, but it was an unsettling experience - encountering something that logic couldn't explain.

"M-Maybe we should get it checked by the priests..."

"Hm...yeah...I guess so. I did find novelty in a crow bringing a letter but it's weird that you can't see it." Though she was upset by this little incident, Yurika seemed just a bit disappointed, having come so far but forced to go back.

'Yuri-chan...do you follow my words just because my mother always asks you to?'

Ako bit her lip and walked ahead. It is the right decision not to follow the letter but she hated having to force her friend to follow.

Seeing Yurika follow her without a question did not make her feel good. Part of the reason for this obedience was because Yurika's father was employed in her mother's start-up...so if Ako really meant it, Yurika had no choice but to accept it without question.

But the reason the duo hung out over old classics and anime was due to their friendship, she hoped.

"Sorry Yuri-chan...I always use power against you, don't I?"

Even in school, Yurika sat next to her, chose the same clubs and hung out with the same set of friends. As someone who was not on the same economic standard, it had to be hard for her but Yurika persevered for her parents.