Always and Forever

Ship: Krii7y
I remember when I met you. It was on June 20th, 2008. That fateful day at the park where you were sitting on the bench, playing on your phone. Your long hair slicked back slightly and dyed white. Your floral shirt and jeans. Your worn converse sneakers.

I remember every detail of your face. Your little beauty mark beside your mouth, your beautiful sky blue eyes. And when you looked up at me, my heart nearly stopped. You were so beautiful.

I remember you getting up and walking towards me. My face getting hotter by the second and my heartbeat accelerating.

I had already known that I was in too deep already.

I plastered a smile on my face and shook your outstretched hand. It was like electricity when our hands met. It was addicting. Like a hand grazing a fire. Thrilling.

We had talked and talked until the light in the sky faded into stars. We had exchanged phone numbers and a promise to call. I was so surprised when you called immediately after. You bid me a safe walk home and a good nights sleep. I had never slept so peacefully that night.

We met the next morning at the local coffee shop. I had gotten there first and was ordering at the counter. I could feel your presence as you walked in. I turned around and we locked eyes at the same time. Your whole face lit up. It was forever an image in my mind.

We shared coffee and talked even more. And who was I to decline the offer to go to your house? So we drove there together.

Do you remember our first kiss? It was only two days after we met. We were sitting on the couch when I leaned my head against your shoulder. I felt your head turn towards me so I turned too. Our faces were centimeters apart. Until you closed the gap.

It wasn't fireworks like the books said. It just felt like... home. Like you were where I belonged. I had never been so happy.

Remember our first date? You didn't want the cliche dinner and movie. You wanted something special. Something only for us.

You had me put on a blindfold and led me there. Your hands guiding my steps. When we finally stopped I was itching to grab the blindfold.

When you took off the blindfold, I almost burst into tears. It was so beautiful. There was a wooden path littered with roses leading to a gazebo. Fairy lights hung from the structure and illuminated the water surrounding it. The stars shone so brightly and I kissed you out of pure joy. It was one of the best moments of my life.

Remember when you got down on one knee in that same gazebo and asked me to marry you? To make you the happiest man in the world? Tears were streaming down my face as I choked out a yes. You pulled me into a kiss and we both laughed and cried, knowing we were going to spend the rest of our lives together.

Remember when we snuggled up on the couch after our engagement? Lazy smiles on our faces as we barely paid attention to what was on the TV. I was admiring my ring. And you grasped my hand in yours and kissed it. We made a promise that day, we would stay together.

Always and forever...

Remember our wedding? We had only invited close friends and family there. We didn't want a big wedding, just each other. And we realized that we had each other from the start.

I remember the bride and groom dance. As we swayed together on the floor, not paying attention to anyone else. We leaned our foreheads together and whispered the promise that we made.

Always and forever...

Remember when we got Buddy? He was such a cute dog. You loved him too don't even deny it. I saw you snuggling with him in the living room. I even snapped a picture. See? It was in the photo album. We were a happy family.

Always and forever...

But our happiness couldn't last could it? Because happiness doesn't last. It never does. You became distant. Detached.

I tried to ask what was wrong, but you shut me out. Closed off. I tried everything to see your smile again. It didn't work. The image of your dazzling smile was fading from my brain. I was forgetting. And goddamn it John, I didn't want to forget. I wanted to remember.

I kept trying and trying to get through to you, but you didn't even look at me. You wouldn't sit close to me. If I touched you, you flinched.

That's when I found the problem. I saw you with her, John. You kissed her, John. Why? We were so happy...

Why'd you let me fall so hard? Go so deep? You led me on for so long and you're not even gay. Now I'm not the same.

When I confronted you, you just looked at me with a blank expression. You finally spoke, but it didn't make me feel relieved like it was supposed to when you told me. Told me that you didn't love me anymore.

I had no words. No tears came. My face became as blank as yours as I took the ring off my finger and put it in the trash bin. Your eyes flickered for a second before returning to their emotionless state.

What happened to always and forever, John? WHAT HAPPENED? Was I not good enough? I thought we were happy... maybe it was something I did. I'm sorry for whatever made you leave me.

But I guess all always and forever was was an empty promise. One that you broke.

Now you're gone. Gone forever. And I can't get you back. I'm sorry for bothering you. You're probably wondering what I'm doing here. I just had some things to get off my chest. Because I lost the chance when you died. I didn't know how to feel, but I will say this, John. I love you. I always will. I will love you always and forever. Maybe I can keep the promise unlike you. Goodbye, Johnathan, see you then.

Jaren rose and played a single lily in front of the grave with the name inscribed John Keyes.

Always and forever...

Happiness never lasts. It manipulates you into thinking it's forever, and then makes you hate yourself for being so gullible. But even when Jaren swung from the noose his friends found him hanging from, in his will was a request to be buried alongside John.

Now Jaren and John lay side by side, but lay separated and lost by their own foolishness. They will forever be lost and wandering, looking for what's missing.

Always and Forever...