Chapter 36: Relations

Start from the beginning

"... Penelope" Diana sighed and as the memories of their close friendship replayed in her head.

Before, Dian was her only true friend that stood by Penelope's side no matter how horrible she was. She understood her and gave her support that Penelope had never gotten ever in her life. Hence they became friends... that until Dian captured the emperor's attention and soon jealousy took over. Penelope instantly forgot about their warm friendship and saw her as a threat to her position. She turned against her and Dian died. They were unable to make up nor did Penelope forgive her.

"... Mom, let's go far away so we can't run into her" Athanasia suggests and tucks her arm. "The maids will escort her out"

"Athanasia. Go to your room" Diana strokes her cheek softly and looks at her with gentle eyes. "I'll handle this"

Her hand dropped and she stepped past her daughter toward the loud noise of footsteps echoing in the halls. Athanasia gets baffled by her mom's statement and runs to her side.

"What? Mom, are you sure?" Athanasia asked in concern and Diana nodded. "Do you know what to do?"

"No. Not at all" She answered bluntly and Athanasia squinted her eyes.

"Uhm..."

They stopped in the middle of the hallway. There was no longer a noise nor a single step echoing in the halls anymore. The mother-daughter pairs looked at each other in astonishment as the atmosphere got very quiet as if nobody was allowed to talk. They all had a staredown as they stood on opposite sides. The maids shut their mouths as they watched the whole thing from above with mixed feelings. It was awkward and silent.

The maids just sit there, neglecting their duties without interfering when they're supposed to like: 👁️👄👁️

Jennette makes contact with Athanasia once and faces away nervously as Athanasia dully stares at her. Penelope furiously glared into Diana's pink eyes with her green eyes. Although Penelope was ready to blow out completely and talk trash on the "intruders", she instantly forgets her courage and determination to do so when staring into Diana's serious eyes. The emotion in her eyes showed no fear whatsoever and she continued staring right at her soul without even blinking. Then Penelope blinks and musters up her courage to call out on Diana.

"You think you deserve all of this?" Penelope insults her but Diana remains unfazed. "Who are you anyway? You think you're suited for royalty?!"

Diana sighed and crossed her arms while looking down on Penelope with contemptuous eyes. "You're not allowed to be here. Trespassing is bad enough but causing a ruckus is another thing" She moved her hand over her mouth and sharply batted an eye at her. "How.... disgraceful for a mother of a princess"

Penelope trembles at her insult in anguish, sneering at her in humiliation. Diana flips her hair back and keeps a straight face while Penelope begins her tantrum.

"Shut up! You're a slut that whore your way here! You don't belong here!" Penelope points and walks closer to her. "You're a disgrace to society"

"I'm sorry but you seem ill. Do you need to see a doctor to fix that mouth of yours?" Diana said expressionlessly and Athanasia snickered into her hand, covering her laugh. "Sigh. Complain and blabber all you want but just know it won't do anything. I suggest you leave now, you'll never gain anything by just spitting in my face"

"Y-You!"

"Yes?" Diana raised an eyebrow and Athanasia was enjoying the show. Penelope raised her hand at her but none of them twitched.

Her eyes moved to revert to her daughter that was standing by her side and her mocking face irritated her. She was being taunted like it was nothing and she went mad. Penelope hurls her hand to them with the intention to slap Athanasia across the face. Diana thought it was for her but when it moved slightly to the side, she immediately knew who was her target. Diana grabbed her wrist fast and twisted it too while putting a lot of pressure on it.