Chapter 22 - Hetairai

Start from the beginning

“It’s not that,” said Sophia, shaking her head.  “I know I’ll enjoy it, I don’t doubt that.  It’s just...”  She sighed.

Julie cocked an eyebrow.  “Something up?”

“No.  I’m just tired.  Long journey.”

“Alright, go to bed then.  You’ll wake up begging for the lead role, trust me.  Full diva mode.”  She picked up the teapot.  “Another for the road?”

Sophia held out her mug.  “Thanks, Jules.”

She went to her room.  As she sipped her tea, a word lingered in her head.  Diva.  Divina.  Divina?

Then she remembered the two names that Oscar Wilde had mentioned two her, two women that Alexander had supposedly travelled with: Thaïs and Imperia La Divina.  She hadn’t heard of either of them.  Look them up in the Encyclopaedia Britannica, or whatever has usurped it in your age

Sophia fished her laptop from her bag and five minutes later was looking at the front page of Wikipedia. 

Imperia La Divina (1481-1512) was a Roman courtesan.’  Sophia bit her lip.  ‘She is counted as the first famous courtesan in Europe.  The term courtesan is said to have been created for her.’

She read a little more: Imperia was the talk of Roman high society; mistress to the wealthy and influential in the Papal court; model for the painter Raphael.  She had a monument in a Roman church, a sensation for a woman of her trade.

Nervously, Sophia looked up Thaïs.

‘Thaïs was a famous Greek hetaera who lived during the time of Alexander the Great...’

Oh good, thought Sophia, another ‘great’ Alexander.

...and accompanied him on his campaigns.  She is most famous for instigating the burning of Persepolis.  At the time, Thaïs was the lover of Ptolemy I Soter, one of Alexander’s generals.  It has been suggested that she may also have been Alexander’s lover.’

Before long, Sophia found herself following the links: ‘hetaera’ was the Ancient Greek for courtesan.  One sentence in particular caught her eye: ‘Although most of them engaged in sexual relations with their patrons, hetairai were not simple prostitutes.’

She turned off the laptop.  Two women, two beautiful women, mistresses to the great and powerful, with stories and legends attached to their name.  Two courtesans.

Sophia fell back onto the bed, shaking with anger and fear.  Oh yes, they would appeal to Alexander.  She wondered where through history he had taken them and whether he had seduced them.

She wondered what he had seen in her, that night at the performance of Much Ado.

*

The next morning in the post, amongst the avalanche of takeaway flyers, Sophia spotted a single crisp envelope.  Her heart leapt, and her stomach churned.  Before she turned it over she knew who it was from, not that he had used the wax seal this time.  She took out the letter.

London, January 5th 2014

Sophia,

It is not without hesitation that I write this letter.  I confess to having been greatly afraid of bringing pen to paper, so anxious was I that my words would not adequately express my innermost thought.  Therefore I shall keep this note brief.

I have wronged you. 

Sophia sat down on the sofa.  Go on then, Alex, she thought.  Squirm.

I have not been altogether honest as to my intentions or feelings.  However, I beg you to know this: that New Year’s Night, more than a century ago, I took you to that hotel, I did what I did, because I loved you, and wished to make you happy.  Whatever mystery I may wrap myself in, for reasons of vanity or fear, I truly loved you.  That feeling has not left me these past few days.

Did you love Thaïs?  Did you love Imperia?

I pray you will grant me an interview at whatever time and place you choose.  Words can be easily mistaken for artifice; let me prove myself in person.  I do not ask you to venture off into history with me once more, only to talk to me, and to give me this one chance to redeem myself in your eyes.

Yours,

Alexander

Sophia slowly folded up the letter and put it back in the envelope.  She sat on the sofa, perfectly still, for several minutes.

I loved you.  I truly loved you.

She picked up her phone.

‘Tomorrow, 5pm, Ginnel’s Cafe.  S.’

Send.

*

Alexander appears to have a 'type', then.  What do you think of his previous girlfriends (not that he'd be so crude as to call them that)?  And what might this mean for Sophia?

The picture is Thaïs at the burning of Persepolis, as imagined in a painting by the eighteenth century English artist Joshua Reynolds.  The story goes that, at a feast in the captured Persian palace of Persepolis, she gave a rousing speech that convinced the drunken Alexander the Great to burn the place down.  It was certainly destroyed in 330BC, but whether this was down to Thaïs' intervention, or was done for political reasons, is contested.