THIRTY-EIGHT.

SHE TAKES HER HAND

     SHE TAKES HER HAND. That's how the story starts and that's how the story ends; Autumn's fingers, entwined with another. All those ripped-out pages, all that scratched-out ink... all foreshadowing that moment, that single mistake she's destined to repeat for all eternity. She's caught in a loop, stuck in this pattern, never able to see it circling around her like a vulture, picking off what's left of her soul.

     There's not much there now.

     So she takes Kory's hand, warm and soothing, and she feels the fear that rages within her heart. Kory Anders has always shown her emotions proudly, never shying away from how she felt ━━ until this moment. Until that terror felt like a sentient danger, ready to rip its claws into her family and tear it all apart.

     Her hands are calloused. Years of training, months spent on the battlefield, have led to tiny little scars decorating her palms. There's history here; there's an entire story, written out in the imperfections.

     She's soft, despite it all. Soft and kind and wonderful, and seeing her in pain is like having a heart ripped out.

     "We've got to get back to San Francisco", Kory says. "Meet up with the others. Maybe Donna's found something on Gar and Conner."

      She's there, lost in her thoughts, planning for a battle, waiting for a war. That's her life, isn't it? One fight to another, but this time, this time her family is at the forefront.

      "We'll figure it out", Autumn promises. "We always do."

       Kory looks at their hands, still locked together. All the things unsaid, all the moments missed... they fade to nothing. "And you're gonna stick around this time."

       It's not a request. "I'll do my best."

       "Do better", Kory says. The fear in her spikes, just a little, just for a moment. "Do it for me."

      She could do more for her. The fear that sparks in her eyes, Autumn could take that away, siphon it off and let Kory move forward with a clear head. They'd need it, too, if they're taking on Deathstroke, if they're going to save Conner and Gar, if there's any chance of finding Dick alive.

      She needs him to be. She's lived a lifetime without him already, and it hurt her more than almost anything else in the universe, but the distance was closing. She could feel it, in the way he looked at her, less like she was a monster and more like she was someone he cared about, someone he could love.

      She's a dying star, burning brighter and hotter with every passing second, sun on the brink of collapse. She's a black hole, ruining every good thing that's ever come her way, burning down any kind of life she could've had.

      And she's gonna fix it. She's gonna make it right, no matter what it takes, no matter who she has to go through. Deathstroke is a mere distraction, a prelude to something bigger; facing the truth, being truly honest with the people she loves.