EIGHTEEN.

THE HIGH SHE FEELS FROM KISSING DICK IS QUICK TO DISSIPATE UNTIL SHE'S LEFT SITTING ON THE ARMREST OF A COUCH NEXT TO HIM, A FROWN ADORNING DELICATE FEATURES AS SHE TRIES TO CRUSH HER RAGE

     THE HIGH SHE FEELS FROM KISSING DICK IS QUICK TO DISSIPATE UNTIL SHE'S LEFT SITTING ON THE ARMREST OF A COUCH NEXT TO HIM, A FROWN ADORNING DELICATE FEATURES AS SHE TRIES TO CRUSH HER RAGE. The source of it all, the thing that sucked all the joy from her, is Adamson; now awake and demanding to talk to Rachel, only willing to divulge information if it's to her.

     None of them is particularly interested in this prospect. 

     Autumn resists the urge to rest her head on Dick's shoulder, instead leaning forward and focusing in on Rachel's words.

     "I need to talk to him", she says. "Alone."

     "I don't think that's a good idea."

     "Why? 'Cause I can't take care of myself?"

     "No", Autumn frowns. "Because he's a manipulative monster who wanted to kidnap you for reasons yet unknown."

     "I need to find out who he is!" Rachel argues. "Why he's chasing me!"

     "I don't trust him."

     "What's not to trust?" Kory counters. "He's tied up. One word from Rachel and I'll put my foot through his face."

     "Dick, please", Rachel begs. "Let me talk to him."

     He pauses, but Autumn can already see the resignation on his face. "Five minutes. And if he does anything ━━"

     "Shout so Kory can put her foot through his face?" Rachel says, slipping off the table. "I'll be fine, Dick. I can handle it."

      Autumn bites her lip, wanting to protest it. Every time she looks at Adamson, it's like ice running down her spine and she doesn't feel comfortable with the idea of Rachel alone with that man. Even tied up, even with Kory outside and ready to kick his ass, the unease Autumn feels refuses to go anywhere.

     Dick's hand makes its way around her waist, and she leans against him.

     "I know you don't like this", he mumbles, "but if she can get him to talk..."

     "Yeah, I know", she says back. "I just don't want her to get hurt."

     "She won't", he replies. "Kory's just outside the door."

     "Rachel can take care of herself, anyway", Gar adds. "She's a badass."

     "She has no control over her powers", Autumn points out, "and she's terrified of them... that's never a good mix."

     Dick doesn't correct her. He's most likely thinking of supervillains, of people he's only fought that have turned to the dark side, of the insanity Gotham breeds.

     She thinks of herself, of the light that boils beneath her skin, of a man driven mad by grief and consumed by fear.

     Autumn curls up closer to him, pushing back the stabs of guilt that threaten to overwhelm her. She needs to pretend, just for a little longer, that she can have something like this with him, that this thing between them can last. She needs to let the comfort of the notion wrap around her, pushing away all the fear and doubt.