Chapter Eleven (Tommy's P.O.V.)

TOMMY'S P.O.V.

I didn’t know what to do. I loved Sammy. I didn’t want to put pressure on her, but my feelings were getting too much. Everytime I saw her, my heart pounded twice as fast as it should. Was that normal? Should it do that? Being in the room next door was hard enough, every night I would have to stop myself from giving her a ‘goodnight kiss’. Seeing her every day, watching her, living with her, being with her.

She was so beautiful, it was hard not to put her in a cupboard and lock her away. Preserving her from the real world. Talking to her earlier had been hard. I didn’t want her to reject me, again, but I had let her. I had kissed her with a passion and it was hard to deny the feelings I had for her.

I heard someone talking to her in her room. The slit in the wall we used to past notes through was letting in the sound of talking. It sounded like another male in her room. It wasn’t her dad, I knew that much, they never spoke to each other - more like shouting. She didn’t know any other boys. Slightly confused I pressed my ear to the crack. “Can we go somewhere else, Tommy can hear everything.” She said. Her bed creaked as she got up and I heard the soft thud of her feet on the fluffy carpet. I waited about thirty seconds before emerging from my room and following her. She descended the stairs and turned a corner, I followed as quietly as I could. As I got round the corner I saw her disappearing into a room - second on the left. Shouting emerged from the room and a plastic blonde walked out looking grumpy, she wasn’t wearing much just jean shorts that barely covered her bum and a small tank top that finished just above her belly button. She hadn’t spotted me yet. She yanked at her hair and it came off in one swift move, fiddling with something behind her ears she pulled away a face mask as well. She pulled a pair of glasses from her tiny handbag - if you could call it that! - and gingerly put them on her face pushing them up every now and again. Muffled voices were coming from the room. I still didn’t know who it belonged to. A voice called out “Mollie, come here.” and the girl walked back inside the room. I crept closer to the door and listened to their conversation. “Hey, Sammy. I’m Mollie. Ryan’s real girlfriend!” Mollie said. She had a really squeaky voice and it was clear she was a little bit shy. I heard the boy speak again; “As part of our mission Mollie has to pretend to be someone else. We are dealing with some very dangerous people.”

“Who?” Sammy asked.

“Tommy’s parents.” Was the reply.  I stood there stunned. She wasn’t supposed to find this out, and when she did I wanted to be the one to tell her. I heard a cry and a thud as something hit the ground. Sammy. I did the only think I could think of doing. Run. I turned corners and ran through the corridors, trying not to fall over. I came to a dead end and walked into the nearest room. The library. No one was in there and I guessed I’d be alone for a while. I sank down against a bookshelf and threw my head into my hands. This couldn’t be happening. I had managed to break the girl of my dreams heart. All because of my stupid parents. I heard the door click open and someone walked in. I was in an unused section of the library so I was safe. Whoever had arrived in the library was wearing heeled shoes; I could hear the tapping of their feet as they crossed the floor. They were towards me; I didn’t want anyone to find me! I sat there holding my breath, my head still in my hands. “Tommy?” I looked up. Lucy.

“What?”

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah, fine.” She stood there staring at me. “You can go now.” I said.

 “No, there is something bothering you.”

“So what if there is?”

“I know we haven’t really talked much but I’m here if you want to talk to me.”

“I don’t want to talk.”

She turned around to walk away and I grabbed her wrist. “Wait. Do you know why I’m really here?”

“Yes. We all do, except Sammy.”

“Why doesn’t she know?”

“Haven’t you seen the way she looks at you? We can’t smash the poor girl’s heart.”

“How does she look at me? I hate to tell you but she may already know half the story.”

“You can work that out.” she ignored my last comment, and turned around to walk away.

“Lucy.”

“Yeah.”

“Who has the room on the floor below mine, you know the one on the left?”

“Our brother Ryan, why?”

“Oh, I was just wondering.” I said, silently thanking anyone who was listening that it was only her boyfriend. She reached out for the brass door knob and hesitated as if she wanted to tell me something else. Instead she reached for the door knob and left me sitting in the library once again, on my own.

“What’s for lunch, Mrs Gordon?” I said walking into the kitchen.

“Call me Susan, and we are having Lasagne.”

“Mmm, my favourite.”

“Will you lay the table for me please?” I picked the right amount of cutlery items from the draw set to lay the table. Sammy walked into the kitchen dressed in her pyjamas and fluffy sheep slippers. Grabbing a cup from the cupboard and filled it with water setting it down on the table in her place. She sat down and waited for her lunch to be placed in front of her. “Why are you still in your pyjamas, Sammy?” Susan said.

“I just woke up, Mum.” She said; she didn’t look like it. Her hair was pulled back into a high pony tail and she had added a small amount of make-up. I pulled up a chair and sat next to her. “Hey, Tommy!” she said. I realised she didn’t know that I had heard everything that had been said between her and Ryan. “Hey, Sammy. I need to talk to you later.” 

“Oh, sure!” she said not sounding too enthusiastic. Susan dished up giving me odd looks. The rest of the family joined us and ate lunch. For the first time I met Ryan. “You must be Tommy, Sammy has told me a lot about you!” he said holding out his hand for me to shake. “Ryan.” Sammy hissed.

“Hope it’s all good things!” I chuckled winking at Sammy; she blushed covering her cheeks with her hands. We finished lunch in silence. I picked up a few empty plates and washed them up before going to my room, to get ready for yet another training session - this time cross country.

I pulled a pair of running trousers and a skin tight tank top on. Tying up my shoe laces I hopped out of my room. Sammy came out her room at the same time - she had changed into her own pink running shorts and a tank top. We walked down to the front door in silence and waited for her dad and sisters to arrive. We were five minutes early. We just stood there in an awkward silence. “I have, err, got to go and do something.” She said quickly before running off in the direction of the kitchen. I stood there on my own, thinking. Lucy, Maddie and Felicity came down the stairs dressed in similar attire to Sammy. Mr Gordon appeared a couple of minutes later. “WHERE IS SAMMY?” he barked. He always seemed to be shouting! “I’m here dad.” She said emerging from the kitchen. We walked out to the front of the house. “I want you to run the whole way round the house, past the gym and classroom, and round the back of the cleaner’s house.” As soon as he finished talking we all set off. Soon I found myself jogging next Sammy. She refused to say anything, if I spoke to her. I wasn’t sure what I had done. “Are you alright? You aren’t talking to me.” I puffed. “I think you know why.”

“I don’t, I really don’t! Whatever it is, I’m sorry.”

“Why didn’t you tell me about your parents?” she said before running off, not letting me answer.