Chapter Nineteen (Tommy's P.O.V)

I couldn’t do this any longer. I loved Sammy more than anything in this world and it was breaking my heart to see her with someone else. I wanted to the one holding her when she cried, kissing her nose when she said something stupid, cuddling up with her before we went to sleep. But I couldn’t.

Somehow I had managed to seduce Georgia. She was stuck to my hip twenty-four-seven and it was starting to get on my nerves. Her rough hands were constantly laced with mine. Her piercing laugh always ringing in my ears and her body always squashed against mine.

To someone on the outside it probably looked like we were a couple. We weren’t. No way, definitely not, never!

I mean I liked Georgia and everything but she was too clingy, annoying and not Sammy. I was busy pinning away for someone I couldn’t have.

I lay on the bed, odd springs randomly digging into my back. My hands lay behind my head and my eyes were closed. I was supposed to be sharing a room with Alex but he had gone to see Sammy when a distressed Georgia came running back into the room, whining that she was ‘being horrible’. 

“Tommy?”

My eyes flickered open. Georgia was sitting on the edge of my bed. She bat her eyelids at me making her look like she was trying to keep flies from her eyes. Her make-up was thoroughly smudged and she had visible tear stains down her cheeks.

“Yeah.”

“Can I talk to you.”

That sentence always scared me. I had never dated a girl in my life but I had been pretty close before she went and broke my heart. She often came out with that sentence and it usually meant I was in trouble.

“Sure, what’s up” I said putting on a brave face.

“Sammy.”

I wanted to roll my eyes, sigh in annoyance and tell her to stop being so stupid, but of course I had to be a gentleman, so I moved over in the small cramped bed and made room for her next to me. Stupid idea.

She climbed up the bed in such a creepy way she looked like a wild cat approaching its prey. She lay next to me her chest rising and falling with her breathing. She snuggled into my arm and put one hand on my chest.

“What has Sammy done?”

“I think she is cheating on Alex.”

That got my attention. I didn’t believe her one bit and I knew she was lying. Instead of showing any emotion, I climbed off the bed. She flopped back down and lay there alone. I paced around the room not quite sure what to do.

“Can you give me a minute please.” I said escaping into my bathroom.

I didn’t know what to do or who to tell. I pulled my iPhone from my pocket and tapped in Sammy’s number. I put it to my ear listening, hopping she would pick up. She didn’t answer and I growled quietly in annoyance.

I didn’t want to try Alex’s number because his phone might be in our room. Instead I turned on my voice recorder and hit start. I flushed the toilet and turned the tap on washing my hands thoroughly.

Georgia was still on my bed but it was beyond obvious that she had been listening to what I had been doing when I was in the bathroom because she was in a different position and her hair was all messed up. It was probably a good thing Sammy didn’t answer the phone.

“Who do you think Sammy is cheating on Alex with?”

“You.”

Her statement was bold and she wasn’t afraid to show it. I was slightly stunned by her answer but I tried not to show it.

“Why do you think that?”

“Haven’t you seen the way she acts around you? She is always flirting with you, I think the only reason she is dating Alex it to get back at you.”

“How dare-”

“Now if you dated me, you wouldn’t have to worry about her anymore. It could just be me and you.”

She got up and walked over to me pecking me on the lips before walking to the door.

“Think about it. Oh and tell Alex he is moving to Sammy’s room, Im staying with  you now.”

The door closed behind her and I let out a frustrated scream. I knew none of what she just said was true but it hurt so much. What if it was true? There was defiantly no way on this earth that I would ever date Georgia, and that was now confirmed.

I crossed the hallway to Sammy’s room. Knocking gently I opened the door. Alex and Sammy were in the same bed snuggled under the duvet together. They both turned round when I entered the room.

“We need to have a chat.”

Sammy sat up a worried look crossed her face. I couldn’t break her heart now.

“Don’t worry about it actually.”

A single tear slipped down my cheek as I left the room. I sunk against the wall and threw my head in my hands. This was a disaster!

Sammy walked out of her room looking around for me. She sat next to me her back against the door. One of her arms wound its way around my waist and pulled me closer to her. This should be the other way round, I should be comforting her.

“What’s wrong Tommy?”

“I have something you and Alex need to listen to.”

She opened the door to her room and yelled at Alex to come and sit with us. They way she bossed him around made me chuckle.  

He sat opposite us his legs crossed in the meditation position and his elbows on his knees.

“What’ s up?”

“It’s Georgia.”

“What’s wrong with her?”

Even though her and Sammy had been arguing less than ten minutes she was still concerned for her best friend.

“There is no other way to say this other than truthfully.”

“Spit it out mate.” Alex said.

“Shut up.” Sammy hissed slapping his knee.

“She’s lying to me, telling me things I know aren’t true and not being her true self.”

“Like what?” they both said together.

I pulled my iPhone out of my trouser pocket and unlocked the screen. I what I was looking for and pressed play.

The sound of the toilet flushing and me washing my hands filled the corridor. Nothing much happened for a while then you heard the conversation.

“Who do you think Sammy is cheating on Alex with?”

“You.”

A worried look crossed Alex’s complexion. Sammy shook her head clearly disagreeing with what she was hearing. She laced her fingers in his and caressed his hand with her thumb. The recording played on.

“Why do you think that?”

“Haven’t you seen the way she acts around you? She is always flirting with you, I think the only reason she is dating Alex it to get back at you.”

“How dare-”

“Now if you dated me, you wouldn’t have to worry about her anymore. It could just be me and you.”

I stopped it, another tear slipping gently down my cheek. It was heart-breaking to see Sammy look so disturbed and upset but she had to know the truth.

“None of this is true.” Sammy whispered.

A sceptical look crossed Alex’s face. I could tell he wasn’t happy about what he had just heard.

“I never want to see that *!@”* again!” Alex growled.

I needed some fresh air so I got up and left, leaving Alex and Sammy to confess their undying love to each other and promise themselves it would all be ok.

I knew it wasn’t.