Chapter 15: Naughty or Nice? Definitely Naughty.

(Andrea's POV)

Max finally learning his lesson, he informed me that we will be spending Christmas with his family two days before the actual date in the family villa in a beach house located in their homeland, Italy. I still don't get his ancestry so I asked him and he patiently explained it to me intricately.

"My great-grandfather's name is Lorenzo and he is from Rome. He lived there all his life and just goes back and forth in Chicago because my grandfather, Alfonso, studied here for his Master's degree and he built the Bravucci Enterprises but he eventually got divorced to my grandmother because he was too submerged and head-focused in his work. Then my father was born in Italy because nonna went back so dad grew up here until he was high school and got transferred to Chicago because grandfather made him study college and have his degree there so he can pass it down to him since he was weak in the heart, if he had one, already. Now it's my generation and I've lived in Italy until my teenage years, following the life of my dad." He explained and I felt bad for Lucas for having to witness such a downfall of love in front of his eyes.

"You're probably pitying dad now but don't because he hates it. He absolutely loathes it. That's why he promised himself that when he gets married and will encounter a very rocky situation, they will seek help from a marriage counselor and work it out. Never during their marriage did they needed to go to the counselor and you know, that's the type of relationship I'd want to have in the future with a prospective wife." He dreamily sighed and I smiled by just looking at him but my reverie was cut short when I replayed what he said and my brain focused on the word 'prospective'.

"'Prospective'? You mean you've met your 'the one'?" I inquired and he nodded gingerly then looked at me.

"She kinda grows on you, you know? What a remarkable woman. My remarkable woman." He grinned with possessiveness and I felt my stomach lurch because of sadness. Someday, I'd find someone like Max who can love me like that, who adores me like he does, and most importantly, who can replace him for me.

"Merry Christmas!" Martha greeted and kissed me on my cheek as I saw Max mingling with his other family members.

"Where's Andrew?" I asked and she just laughed.

"Oh, he's with his grandpa. God knows how much he loves kids and being a nonno. Since Andrew's growing up a bit, he needs a cousin by now, don't you think?" She said with so much innuendo that Michael Phelps himself will drown in it.

"Marcus better step up his game then." I laughed but she rolled her eyes and I knew what she was suggesting.

Sometimes, I'm just not getting any of it.

Drinking wine in their terrace while they open their gifts is a foreign feeling to me. Ever since I was orphaned, I would celebrate Christmas either working my butt off for rent or sleep because the night before was an overnight shift so I never had a joyous company since then. Before he can even wrap his arms around my waist, I knew he was already present because his presence alone makes my blood sing in my veins.

"What are you doing out here alone?" Max said and nuzzled his face into my neck. We stayed in a position like that for a couple of seconds before he hugs me tighter, prompting me to answer him.

"I don't celebrate Christmas. I mean, I don't anymore." I explained and he didn't ask me to reply because I think he already knew why. But I was wrong.

"Everyone has presents for you, including Andrew." He said and when my brain picked up the little boy's name, I perked up and decided to just go in and celebrate my first ever Christmas with my new found family.

"And this is for you, Anya!" Andrew said as he handed me a plain, white card. When I opened it, I observed the messy but utterly adorable handwriting and drawing of the little boy. I can even trace faint pencils that only means one thing.