Chapter 21: Problems, past, promises

Calling for William first thing in the morning to have a little heart-to-heart talk with him was probably a bad way to start the day. Luck didn't side with me today as I accidentally poured some coffee over my favorite suit, stepped on a thumbtack which, by the way, is still stuck under my shoe, and finally, Cassandra came over to my office without an appointment and I sent Andrea to get our lunch so we could have it here in the office while we talk about.. things.

"What are you doing here?" I asked warily as she walks sultrily towards my desk.

"Dad mentioned he has a business with you tonight." She said as she picks some pens and played with it. "So I'm here to ask you about it."

"As your dad mentioned, it was our business, not yours." I cryptically replied but I was responded with a snort.

"You know what? Ever since you've been with that-- that woman, you've been bitter towards me and I don't like it." Cassandra said crustily and I just offered a small smile.

"She doesn't like me being around you, Cass. She doesn't like the fact that we're friends because of our-- ah-- shared history. I'm sorry, Cass. I really am." I sighed but she just clicked her tongue, which is a habit I never liked, annoyed me just a bit.

"Why are you letting her rule your life? You two may be, uh, lovers but that doesn't give her the right to dictate your life, Max." She admonishes me and for a second back there, she sounded like my mom.

"She isn't dictating it, don't you worry your pretty little head about it. It's just that, I feel like we should distance from each other a bit so I can professionally work with your dad." I coughed, remembering the last time I had a meeting with her dad. "Surely it's awkward for you that your dad is telling me to step up our relationship. I don't know which side of his is talking, the professional one or the father one. He's not easing up on convincing me to marry you either so let's just keep it light. You were my past, Cass and Andrea is my future so let's keep it that way." I tried to convince her but she wouldn't really agree to it and I know that for a fact. At least I tried.

"Maybe you'll change your mind about us." She countered but I just shook my head.

"As I said, you were in my past and there's no 'us' anymore. We were young, reckless and naïve. I've moved on ever since I met Andrea and I'm happy now. Very happy, actually." I said firmly, still trying to make her understand. "Go get yourself a man, Cass. A man who will love you because I'm not capable of that anymore."

"Is it because of that accident?" She choked on her impending tears as I also trouble to keep mine at bay.

"Yes. Now, please leave so I can continue working." I dismissed impassively so she just huffed, walked straight out the door but not until Andrea stepped back.

"Eavesdropping? Expected from a low-life like you." Cassandra snickered and a huge wave of rage surged through me.

"You do not talk to her like that! Why do you keep treating her like a gum below your shoe?" I said protectively.

"That's because she is. Goodbye, Max."

Andrea and I both entered my room quietly, it's unnerving.

"How much did you hear?" I asked her but not before gulping.

"Enough." Andrea replied in a clipped manner.

"Enough?"

"Enough to end things between us."

I gasped as my brain finally absorbed what she just said and immediately stood up from my chair.

"No, you can't!" I squirmed as I imagined living without her.

"If you can keep things from me then-"

"Why do you always hold my past against me?" I fumed, feeling offended. "Can I do something about it? No, I can't. Why do you always stoop so low and rub salt to my wounds caused by the past? Why can't you try to let it go?"

She gasped as if she's the one who got slapped by my words. I knew I was a bit harsh but I don't like it when she rubs my past to my face. "Because my insecurities wrestles with your past every single damn time that woman appears! And you know what, it's always a draw! Why? Because I give up and my insecurities get the best of me and your past withdraws back because it's the fūcking past but I can't help but feel attacked and apprehended!"

"Andrea, I told you to never doubt yourself and my love for you. If you heard enough, I told Cassandra she was my past and you're my future. I hope you see it that way, too." I explained and noticed she gulped.

"And what about the accident she mentioned? What is that about?"

Crap!

"Based on your expression, I know I won't be able to get an answer out of your mouth."

Double crap!

"But I understand. I have to understand right now before my insecurities get a hold of me. You'll tell me everything eventually, right?"

I nodded, still trying to calm my wrecked nerves. I'm not ready to tell Andrea the accident.

I mean, with a burden like that, who would be ready to tell and listen?

"Okay. I have to settle for that. For now."

"I know. I promise I'll tell you everything when I'm ready."

"Soon, I hope?"

"We'll see."

~

A/N: sorry for the late update wow but good news because i finished the final story line and i jUST THOUGHT OF A HUGE PLOT TWIST ABT THIS STORY YOU WILL SHĮT YOUR PANTS SO BUCKLE UP Y'ALL YOU MIGHT EXPERIENCE SOME EXTREME TURBULENCE LMAO and speaking of turbulence... i just passed by Chicago while writing this chapter bound for New York!! (im in ny + maryland + philly + north carolina for 5 weeks! holler when ur from there ey)

since im traveling at the moment, the latest ill be able to update is on April 13!

Kat xo

P.S. that 'plot twist' might be on the sequel
P.P.S woops i slipped lmao and yep, im already planning a sequel!! yAS