Chapter 12 // Hinata

Just like Kenma, Hinata had started his Monday off with his routine morning practice. What was different from Kenma however, was Hinata's attitude. After quite an exhausting weekend Hinata was still as energetic as ever and he was looking forward to volleyball. This, of course, was nothing new and it wouldn't surprise the redhead's teammates that he entered the gymnasium with a huge grin on his face if there had been any people. Hinata and Kageyama were the first people who arrived, as usual. Since this had become a routine, Daichi told them where to get the keys to the gymnasium during weekdays so the two hardworking teens wouldn't have to wait up. The two of them turned the lights on after bickering back and forth and they quickly started up by doing their warm-up exercises.

The teens were just about done warming up when the first people entered, the two first-year students were accompanied by Daichi and Suga, quickly followed by Tsukki, who usually showed up as one of the last people. "Kageyama?" Hinata quickly towards his teammate. "Want to toss me some balls?" To which Kageyama nodded, "Let's go." 

For Hinata, morning practice always felt too short, this is why he was extremely bummed when Daichi called everyone up and told them it was time to head out or they wouldn't be in time for school. As disappointed as he was, the redhead quickly got up and took his stuff to make it to school in time.

Unlike Nekoma, the walk between Karasuno and the gymnasium wasn't as long since the school isn't that big, so it didn't take Hinata long to get to his class. He got seated in his desk and scrolled around social media a little on his phone before his class started. 

A few minutes after his teacher spoke up "Goodmorning class, we are going to start". Everyone in the class greeted the teacher and just as Hinata was about to put his phone away, the redhead received a notification, he decided to take a quick look at it before starting class.

From: Kenma
subject: hi
hey, how are you?

Hinata was now faced with a dilemma, he could either pay attention in class and let Kenma wait for a response or text Kenma back and risk getting caught. Ah, whatever, his grades were not that great, to begin with, so it wouldn't make a difference if he didn't pay attention for a few minutes.

From: me
subject: re;hi
Hey Kenma!! I'm doing okay, in class right now, what about you?

The first-year felt anxious about using his phone in class, what if he got caught right now? What would the consequences be? Nah, the redhead shook his head to calm himself down, that wouldn't happen. For some reason, Hinata seemed to value talking to Kenma more than his grades at this moment.

From: Kenma
subject: re;hi
same thing, in class too.
btw, I talked to Kuroo and he apologized for being rude to you.

Ah, Hinata didn't know how to feel about that, since he still didn't know how to feel about the third-year in general. It wasn't a direct apology either. Kuroo seemed pretty awesome, especially during the game between Karasuno and Nekoma. The guy seemed like a great teammate and leader, but then again, he was mean to the redhead. But to be fair, it did sound like he felt bad about what happened, so maybe the black-haired teen turns out to be awesome, but they met up at a bad time.

From: me
subject: re;hi
Really? That's very cool of him! 

Whatever, there was no point in blaming someone, that would just be a waste of the teen's positive attitude.

From: Kenma
subject: re;hi
yeah, I thought so too.
are you mad at him?

Hinata sighed while making it look like he was paying attention in class. He took a glance at the chalkboard to see what this class was about. The teen saw that the teacher was writing down the answers to some mathematical equations. Hinata, not understanding any of this, quickly copied what the teacher was doing in his notebook for possible future reference. 

From: Me
subject: re;hi
No, I'm not mad, 
he was just a little scary xD

...and maybe I even was a little jealous. Hinata added in his mind, he sent the text as it was, but not without hesitation. He hoped he voiced his thoughts correctly. 

From: Kenma
subject: re;hi
Okay, I'm glad to hear that.
I rlly had fun with you last weekend, Shoyo :)

Reading that made Hinata feel happy. He reread the text two, three, four, five, times, and without thinking his lips formed a smile. His cheeks were glowing too. How was he going to respond to this message? 'Me too!' or was that too bland? 'We should do it again sometime!" or was that too pushy? He needed to come up with something quick. The first-year didn't want to leave Kenma hanging of course.

"Hinata, is your work that funny?" The teacher asked the teen, raising an eyebrow. Hinata hadn't noticed that he was smiling so obviously and it wasn't hard for the teacher to take notice of that as well. The entire class turned around and looked at Hinata, who was stationed in the back of the classroom. The poor redhead's face turned as bright as a tomato. "Ah! N-no, sir!" Hinata stuttered in his panic, quickly stuffing his phone away in his pocket. 

His teacher sighed, "well I hope you have at least been taking some notes." the man said as he started to walk in the direction of Hinata's desk. He took a glance at the teen's notebook and sighed. "Alright then, please pay close attention from now on. The next part is going to be important for the test. The teen anxiously nodded in response, glad that he hadn't been caught for using his phone in class and he had gotten away with it today.