Harry's lips pursed together at my statement and I swear I saw him give a quick roll of his eyes to complete the reproachful look.

I exhaled. "But I'm okay. I figured out my new budget, and I'm getting by. The night I called you when I was drunk, I was an emotional mess, so please just disregard that whole thing," I begged.

"Norah, if you need anything—"

"Harry—"

"No, I'm serious." His tone proved just as much. "I trust you when you say you're okay, but please tell me if you need anything."

This was the exact feeling I wanted to avoid. The embarrassment that followed Harry pitying me.

"I can take care of myself just fine." I shook my head, starring out the window. "I don't need your pity and I would never ask you for money."

His hand reached over and touched my wrist. "Love, I don't mean to upset you."

"I'm not upset. I—" I caught myself before I continued to lie to him. "I'm a bit embarrassed, that's all."

He sneaked a glance at me, his look sincere. "Norah, I know you can take care of yourself. Don't ever think that I don't know how smart and driven you are. But I can't help that the more I get to know you...the more I want to protect you."

Before I can respond and tell him that I most definitely don't need protection, he continued.

"Like today, when the fucking paparazzi were there...I couldn't let them know what you are to me. If I were to talk to you in front them, the video would go out, people would figure out your name, where you work, your social media...I will not let them touch you," he vowed.

His grasp on my wrist moved to my hand, our fingers lacing together. I starred at the embrace.

"You do know the more we hang out, the more likely they are to find out who I am. And...maybe that isn't a bad thing," I faltered.

His hand flexed in mine. He was starting to get worked up. "This isn't just a 'hey, guys, meet my new mate' kind of situation."

"It can be."

His eyes darted over to mine for several seconds before returning to the road, taking his hand back and putting it on the wheel. He pondered on my words, that's for sure. The longer he stayed quiet, the longer I sat anxiously contemplating what I'd said.

Was I ready to be outed as Harry Styles' friend? To be ridiculed by the internet? Hated simply because I was close to him?

"I'll talk to Jeff and my publicist about this. But just so you know, if I thought of you as only my friend, I wouldn't be doing this. Hypothetically, I wouldn't care about what anyone may think because you're only my friend..."

"But?"

"But you aren't just my friend."

"No?" My heart felt like it was in my throat.

"I don't make it a habit to kiss my friends, Norah."

I bit down on my lip. The angry insecure monster that lived deep within me clawed its way to the surface, reminding me that he was still a superstar who could have anyone he wanted.

But he wants me.

I think?

"Well, we've only kissed a few times," I goaded. "I think that may still be friendly territory."

God, why couldn't I just be serious for a few seconds?

Harry's mouth dropped open and he raised a daring eyebrow. "I'll pull over right now and assure you that we are most definitely not in friendly territory, sweetheart."