Chapter Fifteen

TRIGGER WARNING!!!
-if you are sensitive to guns or any type of violence having to do with guns, please be aware while reading. I will put these —>( *** ) before and after that specific scene is done.

"You always were very clever, Sophie." Jolie said to her, "It's something I've always admired about you."

Jolie was standing in front of her mirror, painting makeup over the burn scars that ran down her neck. Her shiny, raven black hair contrasted strangely, yet beautifully, with her pale skin tone, and her turquoise eyes were now covered with cobalt blue lenses.

"You—you—." Sophie stuttered.

"Me? I'm still who I am, who I've always been. I haven't changed." Jolie assured her.

"Yeah, except for the fact that you've just been living a secret life with enemy for who knows how long."

"It's not as much of a secret as you think. The twins pretty much know everything up until about two years ago and I think the Babblos kid accidentally found out when he was snooping."

Sophie was shocked to hear that both Linh and Tam already knew Jolie's secret, but Jensi? She couldn't believe that she had completely forgot about him. It was even more surprising to hear that he was in on the secret as well.

"You told Tam and Linh?" Sophie asked Jolie.

"No! God no. The Forkle twins know, not the Songs."

That makes more sense.

"What about 'The Babblos kid' as you called him? How exactly did he find out?" Sophie asked.

"Apparently him and his vanisher friend thought it'd be a spectacular idea to phase into my bathroom while I was getting ready." Jolie told her.

"He's a phaser?"

"Yeah, he has been for years. I thought you knew."

Sophie felt as if she'd missed so much. She hadn't even known Jensi had manifested.

"No, I—I guess I should have been in touch with him more." she said faintly, then realized something else she had said, "Why only up until two years ago?"

"That is something I'm not allowed to say... yet." Jolie said.

"What about what you said, you know, when we were interviewing you the other day. You said the Neverseen would keep your family safe and to free them."

"Merely a lie."

"Not completely. Something I've learned is that good, smart liars, incorporate partial truths in their lie to make it more believable. You're smart, Jolie, I know you are. So what are you freeing Grady and Edaline from."

"You of course."

Sophie stepped back in her tracks, "W-W-What do mean?"

"They're trapped. Trapped in your world of danger you created for your family, your friends." Jolie clicked her tongue, "It's your fight, your game, yet... you're making making your friends play it. Putting them in harms way, just so that the Moonlark would stay safe, protected, innocent. You... you are the one our world should be terrified of, not the Neverseen."

Red started to rim Sophie's vision, "I know what you're doing, and it's not going to work."

"Do you now? Well then, if you know so much about what I'm doing, you must also know this: There. Is. No. Way. Out. Of. It."

"There's always a way."

Jolie shook her head, "Always so hopeful, you are. When are you going to learn. When are you going to grow up. The Black Swan made a mistake by putting you and a group of teenagers into battle. You should have stayed living with the humans. You left your parents and your sister, and for what?! Acceptance? Greed? Power? They deserved better anyways."