3 - Assistant to a Genius

I get Erskine's death needed to happen, but that soon?! Didn't even give the man a chance!

-

"Nothing to concern you, Rachel

"Nothing to concern you, Rachel. I do have an update for you."

- Dr. Abraham Erskine

 Abraham Erskine

──── {⋅. .⋅} ────

The Next Morning
Monday, 14 June 1943
Brooklyn, New York

RACHEL PREFERRED WALKING TO WORK IN COMPARISON TO TAKING A TAXI. Choosing the sounds of her city over the smell of whatever the taxi driver was smoking before his shift. Even in the middle of the second world war, life still went on in Brooklyn. School buses pass Rachel on the sidewalk. The mail carrier with his satchel full of letters stopping at each mailbox. The occasional cat sunbathing on the steps of their owners home- Rachel always taking a few seconds out of her walk to give them neck scratches. She wasn't born here but Brooklyn was the only home Rachel ever truly known- hardly remembering much from her childhood in Bridgehampton.

Rounding the corner she came across her place of employment- Brooklyn Antiques. The bell on the door dinged as Rachel pushed it open, stepping inside. She was elated to see the shop empty apart from an elderly lady. The woman behind the counter, the same woman everyday, smiles when Rachel walks up. "Lovely weather this morning, isn't it?"

"Yes, but I always carry an umbrella."

That made the woman tilt her head to the side, narrowing her eyes. "I suppose you can't be too careful." Was her response.

Rachel shrugged. "Best to be prepared for a shift in the wind."

That was the trigger. The woman's facade fell, walking to the side to push a hidden button under the countertop. Hearing the faded buzzing noise, Rachel started to the back of the store- stepping through curtains and finding herself in front of a large bookcase. She stood there, waiting a few seconds for the bookcase to split in two, opening up like a pair of elevator doors.