A Formidable Ally

Start from the beginning

"What the hell's wrong with him? He's acting like the King of the Court that everyone calls him!" Zero Two said.

"Such a perfectionist. Good grief, kids nowadays." Miyuki uttered.

"He may be right about it but that doesn't mean he'll just tell Hinata such things like that. Doesn't he have trust on his abilities?" Fujiwara sighed.

"Will you set for me if I learn to receive properly?" Hinata asked.

"I'll set for anyone I deem essential to winning. But right now, I don't think you are." Kageyama said.

"Nasty!" Tanaka angrily yelled.

"What's it take to set him a few here and there?" Sugawara asked.

"We're almost out of time. We'd better clean up." Kageyama said.

"Crap! Hurry! Erase all evidence!" Tanaka yelled.

"Okay!" Sugawara added.

'Damn it. Damn it!' Hinata angrily thought.

"I feel sorry for him. He's just using him for his personal needs." Iino said.

"He abuses his talent so much that he'll tell the shrimp to do receiving properly. What a dictator!" One student said.

"That's why he couldn't enter to the best schools because he is really a selfish player!" Another student said.

Kageyama and Tanaka can be seen sleeping on their breaks but Hinata and Sugawara practiced receiving outside the gym.

"Hinata, lower your hops more, and hit it like you're sending it right back in the direction it came from." Sugawara said.

"Right!" Hinata replied.

"Here goes." Sugawara said and does the spike to Hinata who successfully receives the ball.

"Oh, that was a good one." Hinata said.

"Hey, Hinata. Want me to set for you starting tomorrow morning?" Sugawara asked.

"Really? You will?" Hinata asked.

"I'm Karasuno's starting setter, you know. You want to practice spiking, right?" Sugawara asked.

"R-Right! I love spiking. It feels great when you get one just right. Above all, it's so cool!" Hinata said.

"Sounds like you've got quite the spiking fixation." Sugawara said.

"When I was junior high, I didn't have teammates until third year, let alone a setter. My friend on the basketball team would set for me.

Even after I retired, I had first-years, volleyball moms, and setters from the girl's team set for me. But while they were good friends of mine, they were never really teammates. So I was really looking forward to meeting the setter I'd have in high school. I had high hopes... until I got here." Hinata said, remembering Kageyama's insults towards him.

"If I'm not wrong, in basketball, they also do the same thing that the setters in volleyball do. Erm... what do they call of it?" Miyuki uttered.

"They do an alley-oop pass." Fujiwara said.

"Yeah! Right, an alley-oop play! But instead of spiking the ball, the player either slams the ball on the ring or puts it easily in the basket." Miyuki said.

"Hinata's lucky because he can still get some sets from someone whose sport is different from his." Ishigami said.

"Like I said, I'm a setter too. Don't worry, I'll set for you." Sugawara said. Hinata got happy but for a second, he remembered something.