Chapter 10: Sins of the Past

Comenzar desde el principio

"And you did. You moved all the way over here just so that you could be close to him."

"I can't leave him behind. I know as his dad you care a great deal for him and I know you would never harm him. But I can't ditch him either."

"Why don't you move into the palace?"

"I can't do that. It's a big step moving over here and without a game plan in motion. Plus, I don't want to be in the way."

"Just think about it."

"Ok."

"Also, given the situation and everything you've given up for my son, I'd like to pay your tuition for the rest of your schooling here."

"No, that's not necessary. I've already spoken to financial aid and I have it all figured out."

"Loans?"

"Yes, for the most part. I managed to get one grant but I also have some money saved up."

"Piper, you've given up a lot for my son. You've been a good sister to him. I was not there for him growing up and I regret it, but you and your father were. So please, let me make it up to you."

"It's too much. I can't accept that" Piper ran a nervous hand through her long wavy and shiny hair.

"I'm not going to take no for an answer. I want to make this up to you because I'm sure making the sacrifices you've made for him as a sister, was probably not very easy."

"It wasn't but making sure that I was still there to take care of him made it easier to give up my dreams. As I said, I don't regret it and I never will."

"I know you don't and for that, I am proud and thankful to you."

"Thank you" she smiled, chuckling.

"Just tell me what university you want to attend, I'll make the calls and everything will be taken care of."

"Are you absolutely sure?"

"Positive" he took her hand.

She sighed, thinking about it for a brief moment. "Ok, I accept."

"Awesome."

"But since I am letting you do something big for me, would you mind telling me why you and my mom split up?"

"That's a long story but one I am willing to tell you."

"I have all night and my little brother is asleep. So we got nothing but time" she smiled.

Hamdan smiled and gave a nervous sigh. "Your mom and I met when we were maybe ten and we became friends. She was one of my best friends and as we got older, we developed a mutual attraction for one another and I knew how she felt about me, but both of us were hesitant to get close because she was a commoner and I was well, royal."

"But how did you guys even meet? How did that transpire?"

"Your grandparents were friends with my parents. They met because your grandparents were also endurance racers and it's also how she got into it. We dated in secret when we were teenagers but broke it off and that was when she met Tarik, who was friends with me and my brother Rashid. But he never knew about us and then I guess they began to date right after because my parents are not the kind of people who would have accepted either of us to be with a commoner and much less marry one."