Chapter 47.5 - Taiyaki

[A/N] By request: Can you make like a special mini chapter on what happened to Deku during this whole thing? — Yes. Yes I can.

Izuku sat at the table, head in hands in absolute devastation at what he'd just seen. UA, the city, the Hero Association, they were all in danger.

He thought of Todoroki, Tsuyu, Iida... oh God, Ochako. His heart squeezed for a moment at the thought that she could be stone. He'd watched the pain and torture that Kacchan had gone through while [y/n] had been transformed.

"I have to go help them!" he practically shouted when he finally lifted his head. He was on his feet in a fraction of a second marching for the door.

"Sit down," Gran Torino's form shot out in front of him blocking the way.

"But..."

"Sit!" He gave Izuku a healthy push back toward the table. Izuku begrudgingly sat down, the adrenaline running through his veins almost more than he could handle. "Eat your taiyaki," the old man ordered.

"GRAN TORINO, PEOPLE ARE DYING! THERE'S NO TIME TO EAT. AREN'T WE SUPPOSED TO BE HER-" Izuku pressed up from his seated position again but was forcibly pushed down and silenced.

"We are heroes and heroes know when they can be useful," Gran Torino said grabbing a fish-shaped snack from a white plate. He gestured around the room with the treat. "We're in Osaka, hundreds of kilometres from your campus."

"But if we hurry!" Izuku clenched his fists, determined.

"If we hurry, you'll show up exhausted and get yourself killed." He snapped the fish tail between his teeth.

"But!"

"If you say 'but' one more time," Gran Torino flung the snack at Izuku's head, a trickle of red bean paste splashing against the boy's freckled cheeks. Izuku hesitantly wiped the smear from his face and opened his mouth to argue. Gran Torino gave him a stern look. "Do you have so little faith in the heroes in the city? In your classmates?"

Izuku's mouth closed. Gran Torino was right. As much as he wanted to jump into the fray, to save the innocent, to fight the villains like his mentor and personal hero All Might, he could only save the people right in front of him.

He had to believe in his friends. He dug his phone from his pocket and instinctively dialed Ochako's number.

"Hi there! You've reach Uraraka Ochako aka Uravity. I'm not here right now so leave me a message at the beep! Thanks!" her cheerful voice bounced through the receiver. Izuku shut his eyes and reluctantly pressed the 'end' button.

"It went straight to voicemail," he said, deflating.

"Smart," Gran Torino said, taking the untouched taiyaki from Izuku's plate and bringing it to his lips. Izuku cocked his head. "Seems as though the Hacker can effect technology." He looked at the dark television set in the corner of the room. "They probably shut off their phones to minimize exposure to his quirk."

Izuku exhaled. That must be it. He had to believe that they were alright, that this was a precaution. He numbly shut his phone off as well, despite the urge to try calling everyone else he'd ever met.

"They're going to be alright," Izuku said upbeat, trying to convince himself more than Gran Torino. The old man hummed.

"Yes, they will," Gran Torino said kindly, taking another bite of the fish. "Now go make yourself some taiyaki. I don't know where yours went."